Stitches

The needle poked gingerly through the green skin and I threaded the waxy dental floss through to make another stitch. T.J, one of my fellow leader buddies, had managed to get a deep gash in his arm while dumpster diving. Though I had no anesthetic, he sat still and hardly winced as I sewed his clean wound shut. He was a lizard boy.

Frankie had lent me one of her precious sewing needles. Kneeling on the floor, I could feel the patches on the knees of my cargo pants. My home-girl was pretty boss with a needle and thread and I could have kissed her when she fixed the shredded knee holes. Smiling, I glanced over at her. She was staring intently at my patient with anxiety pinching her face. I wasn't the best at reading people, but I was pretty sure she liked him.

I tied off the dental floss and cut the ends off. "There you are."

Standing, he thanked me and Frankie took the needle back. "Are you going to be alright? That looks so uncomfortable!" She inspected his arm like a hawk. He waved her away.

"It's all bueno, Frankie... I'll be alright." His three-fingered hand patted her shoulder and he walked off.

She followed me to the pool. "Not to be judgmental, Girlfriend, but your sewing skills are kinda sloppy."

Pausing to consider her friendly criticism, I agreed. "Yeah, your right. Maybe you could help me get better." I looped my arm around hers. "Or next time T.J. gets himself ripped open, I'll just let you give him stitches."