DURBAN

AMANDA

We're in the plane,headed to my hometown. Yes I decided to take a plane,I'm really worried about my dad and I've been too afraid to call home and find out about his progress. Zisi is also worried sick about him and his questions are getting on my nerves. I'm happy that he's sleeping at the moment. We're about to land and I need to wake him up,hope mom sent someone to pick me up. I'm not taking a cab.

"Seba,vuka,wake up baby" I shake him awake

"Are we here mma?"

"Yes baby. We just landed"

"Was I asleep for long?"

"No baby but you snored really loud"

"Why didn't you wake me up?"

"Just kidding bby"

"That's not funny mma"

"Well you should've seen your face?"

"I'm not speaking to you for the whole year"

"Yeah,Let's go get our laggage hun"

We get our laggage and head to where my mom or whoever she sent to fetch me is waiting. I see a postcard with my name on it and we heard towards the person holding it.
I can't see them clearly but the closer I get to them. I freeze in my tracks. This can't be real I must be dreaming it can't be him. Why would he come fetch me. Then Seba runs up to him,doing some secret handshake with him.

My worst nightmare has come true.NO! NO!! How? when? Who? It can't be,they can't possibly know they're related,they're father and son.

"Hey young man,how are you. I've missed you since you left"

"Hey Bash,I've missed you too. Here's my mom"

"Hey Manda"

He pulls me into a hug but I don't respond back,I'm still confused as to how they know each other and what they know about each other.

"Wow,that was cold"

"Sorry I wasn't expecting you here"

"Your mom asked me to come fetch you since she's with your dad and your sisters are not home yet"

"Oh"

"So how do you guys know each other?" Seba

"Well Seba, me and your mom,met in high school when I was paired with her for a project,we've been friends ever since but my friend forgot to tell me she had a son"

"Why mma?"

"And how do you know Bash, Seba?"

"I told you when I came to Durban the last time that I'd met this guy named Bash and people were saying we look so alike we could pass as father and son"

I swallow hard and choke on my saliva and almost cough my lungs out,while Bash tries to hit me on my back.

"Here's water mma,are you okay?"

"Yeah baby I'm fine"

"So me and your son have become friends since then and we chat almost daily"

"You guys chat?"

"Yes mma,now I know you don't listen to me when I talk"

"No baby,I do it's just I thought you were talking about a boy your age"

"Don't be mad at your mom,son. No one would think a 6 year old and a 25 year old would be friends" Bash adds

He called him son,if he know the truth. Why are you doing this to me though Father,I know I have to come out with the truth but don't you think your timing is a little off Lord. Why did his father have to be his new friend,I wanted him to have friends in Durban but I didn't mean his own father.

"Thanks Bash" Seba runs out the car into my parents home

"So how have you been Manda"

"I've been good raising my son"

"He's a great young man,you raised him well"

"Thanks,I really need to see my dad"

"Ofcos bit can I see you tomorrow?"

"Tomorrow I can't,I just got home for the 1st time in 4 months and I'd like to spend more time with my sick father"

"I'm sorry that was insensitive of me. Forgive me. I'll guess I'll see you when you visit again"

"Tuesday"

"What?"

"I'll meet you Tuesday"

"Oh ok,thanks"

"Ok I've got to go"

I heard into the house and find my son sitting with my dad playing a card game. I thought this person was supposed to be in his death bed,wtf!

"Hey princess"

I'm 24 years of age and my dad still calls me princess,I love him

"Hey dad,hey mom. I thought you said dad was sick"

"I was but I miraculously got healed as soon as this little man walked in"

"He was discharged today. They just said he's blood pressure was too high and needs to start taking his meds properly"

"I thought you gave him his pills"

"Thought so too but,he confessed that he would put them under his tongue and as soon as I looked away he'd flush them down the drain"

"Dad!"

"We all make mistakes love,trust me. I'm never trying to fool your mom again"

"Please don't dad. You had is worried sick about you. We thought we might lose you"

"Don't cry baby girl. I'll be more careful from now on,I also don't to leave you two alone in this bad bad world"

"Where's Bash"

See everyone calls him Bash

"He went home"

"Hawu Mandy,why didn't you invite the poor boy in. You're friends after all"

"He's mother needed him back home" I lied

"Ohk your sisters should be here any minute now"

"I haven't seen them since Christmas"

"I was telling your father that,the good thing about him not taking his pills is that his kids managed to come home before Christmas"

"Come on mma,you know we're busy and I leave 12 hours away"

"A flight doesn't take that long Mandy"

"You know I hate flying mma"

"You managed to fly today"

"I had to and I don't have monry to be flying down here every month. I'm trying to run a successful business here"

"Maybe if you got yourself a good hardworking man,you wouldn't struggle"

"I'm not struggling mma and I don't need a man"

"Leave my daughter alone Suzie" my father says to my mom

My sisters walk in with their kids. My eldest sister has 2 kids and the second born of the family doesn't want kids yet. The 3rd sister is married to a woman and They're expecting a baby in 5 months. So it's Andiswa,Amahle and Amandla,in that order.My dad wanted her kids to have names that begin with A and I'm Amanda Aphiwe.I sit down for some family dinner. I miss times like this.

Andiswa - means increase

Amahle - means they're beautiful

Amandla - means power

Aphiwe- they're given

Vuka - wake up