May 13, 2030

Scott and Alex were lead into the large children's home. That morning Jessica was at school and then had tutoring in the evening, to help her catch up, so they had time. They were shown through by a young man who was tall and chiselled. He sat them down in a room and told them he'd get someone to go and see them.

"He was hot." Alex teased, turning towards Scott to watch his reaction. His eyes blew wide as he turned, a shocked look on his face. Alex burst out laughing.

"Alexander Kirk I will drop your ass so fast!" He said, lightening up a little as he saw the joke in Alex's voice.

"You will, yeah?" Alex bit his lip and winked. Scott rolled his eyes and laughed. "Are you excited?"

"Very..." Scott whispered. "Kind of nervous too though." Alex reached across and squeezed his hand in reassurance.

"Same. But I know this is going to be another adventure." He reassured. Scott smiled.

The door soon opened again and in walked a woman. She was short and wide and wore work pants and a floral blouse. She looked friendly enough. She smiled at them. "I'm Lucy, I'm the social worker here. It's nice to meet the both of you."

"Nice to meet you too. I'm Alex and this is Scott." He introduced himself, shaking her hand. She then sat down across from them. She grabbed a folder and started to flick through papers.

"So you live nearby. You've been married for fifteen years. No known unsettled home life. You guys are ticking all the right boxes here, that's for sure." She looked up and noticed that Scott was biting his lip. They all did that, when they were nervous. It was a sign that they really wanted a kid.

"I was wondering if you had a specific child in mind?" She asked. Scott had to hold back a laugh at this. It sounded like she was trying to sell them some sort of computer.

"No, we're all up for anything really." Alex said.

"So, a baby?" Lucy asked. Scott and Alex looked at each other, having discussed this already.

"We know it's harder for an older kid to get adopted and since we've had three babies already-" Scott trailed off, not really knowing how to phrase it.

"How old are the others?" Lucy asked, smiling brightly.

"Jessica is fifteen and Toby is thirteen. Noah died when he was seven." Alex explained.

"Oh, I'm so sorry." Lucy said, her face turning serious again. A small silence stretched through the room before she spoke up again. "I think I have just the kid for you two. His name is Elliot and he is five. He never knew his father and last year he came to us after being abused by his mother and stepfather. He was damaged but in the last year he has seriously come out of his shell. I think you're going to like him."

She stood and excused herself from the room. "Another boy..." Scott breathed. He lifted his head and looked towards Alex who was beaming.

"We're really doing this?" Alex asked, his smile stretching across his face. Scott nodded and for a moment terror flashed through his eyes but it was immediately replaced by excitement.

The door opened again and both Alex and Scott's heads snapped to the side. Lucy walked in first and the voice was heard before they ever saw the child. "Am I in trouble, Lucy? I'm sorry. I didn't mean to do whatever I did." Lucy smiled fondly as the little boy came into view in the doorway. He stopped abruptly, his mouth dropped open as he realised why he had been brought into the office.

Elliot had chocolate brown hair and bright green eyes. He wore a short sleeved shirt and trousers. He stood at just over a metre in height, his hair which was curly bumping him up a couple inches. He was spotlessly clean, not a single crease in his clothes. He suddenly broke out into a huge smile, his hands fell to his side and his back straightened up subconsciously. He was adorable that was for sure!