[Summertime Sadness]

Nix P.o.V

It was early June when I finally started regularly sleeping at home. My mother had kicked out my dad after the divorce, so it was just her, my two sisters and I. From that moment on, she only cried or slept. She wouldn't even get up out of bed to go to work. It was just me, Maro and Otto every day, doing chores, homework, and eating. Life was starting to become too routine for me: seeing Namjoon in the morning, sitting with him on the bus, going to school, coming home to clean, do homework, feed mom, shower, sleep.

I decided to get a job at an ice cream shop in town to break up the monotony in late July. The owner let us take as much as a pint of ice cream home, so every night, I took my pint for mom. By the end of the month, I had enough to move me and my twelve year old sister, Otto, out of the house and into an apartment closest to our schools. Maro stayed with mom to help pay the bills and take over the house.

Our apartment was cheap, dingy and smelt like mildew, but if it meant a new start for the both of us, we would happily take it. It meant that we didn't have to hear the constant sobs coming out of my mother's room, or a look at the family portrait with a sticky note covering our father's face. We finally got the freedom we've wanted since the first fight in a small apartment and it was worth it.

We've been able to settle in pretty easily. Maro helped me pay for expenses when the ice cream money wasn't enough to last the next few weeks. Sometimes it was groceries or Otto's two-week summer camp expenses. 

"Nix, I'm hungry." Otto came back from her track meet with a couple bruises. As the elder sister, I wanted to take care of her better. I feel like I have to take care of her after all we've gone through. I put ice on her purpling bruises before going into the small kitchenette to get her the pasta I had already prepared for dinner. "Oh, and uh, I saw a guy at the bus stop today," She quickly said to me. "He thought I was you. Namjong- Namji- Namjoon says hi?"

My eyebrows jump in interest, but I make sure to not face her when I hear his name. "Oh, really? I'll go with you tomorrow." I said, humming the same song as I have been for the past few days. "Think I'll miss you forever. Like the stars miss the sun in the morning skies. Later's better than never. Even if you're gone I'm gonna drive."