Learning Language

"Tell me again why I have to learn French?" Valeriana said exasperatedly. Corvan sat on one side of the table and was trying to teach Valeriana other languages.

Key word 'trying'.

"It's not that hard. Or is your head as dense as the table."

"Hey, I haven't been speaking a bajillion languages since birth like you have."

"Just conjugate 20 of these verbs and write down 50 various sentences using this principles and at least 34 of them should use past participles."

Valeriana's jaw dropped. "You expect me to do all that by the end of the week?! That's not homework that's torture in the form of studying!"

"Oh you thought this was homework? No, it's your warm-up lesson. After you accomplish this we delve into future tense. Now work." Corvan tapped the table with a book, motioning to the papers that Valeriana was to use.

Grumbling about 'insensitive jerks' and 'dumb, cocky, arrogant, puffed-up nobles' she begrudgingly got to work on Corvan's assignment.

"I still don't see the point of this." She grumbled.

Corvan sighed.

"You are to be my betrothed. As future Lord of Arlandia, I will be interacting with many others, and as my betrothed you are expected to assist me when you take over as Lady of Arlandia."

"Woah woah woah, woah. Back it up right there. I'm not truly going to be marrying you though. The ring's a fake, faker than the Evil Queen from Snow White. I'm not betrothed to you yet." She paused from her work and looked at him in disbelief and annoyance.

"When I find the ring, I will give it to you. It has already been announced and you've been introduced to my family so it's official. You agreed to this. If you really want, you can back out now but that'll take a bit of time. It's an arduous process,"Corvan told her,"Now get back to work."

Valeriana returned to her paper and began scratching out his requirements with her quill. As she wrote, she spoke some more.

"That is if you find the ring. And don't you people go too fast here. I mean, you just give me the ring and boom, we're engaged right? Don't you guys go on dates here?" She inquired.

"We do court people if that's what you mean by 'date' but nothing special. Now get back to your work. We still have far future tense to work on as well as -re and -ir verbs." He reminded her again of the long "warm-up" that she had to do before the actual lesson.

She shoved her way through the work he pushed at her, feeling like she was drowning in a sea of French grammar.

The time ticked by slowly, while Valeriana struggled through the work. But she slowly managed to get it as she went on. They moved on to verbal practice, using what she had just learned in conversation.

"Comment ça va?"
How are you?

"Ça va bien. Mais, je sais un homme qui a travailler pour un diable.
It's going good. But, I know a man who is working for a devil.

"That's mediocre work." Corvan said as time went on. They covered a lot in the few hours they'd been studying in the library.

"Are we done for today then?"

"I suppose so."

Valeriana flopped herself onto the table. She closed her eyes in pure bliss of finishing the day's lesson.

"It's gotten pretty late," Corvan commented to her. She got up to see he was right, outside the windows you could see that darkness had settled over the campus whil the stars twinkled brightly above them.

She joined him by a large window.

"You're right. But it looks so pretty.

The two stood in silence as they stared at the stars. It wasn't that awkward, empty silence though, it was one of those safe and comfortable silences. The type where the people are so in tune with each other, intentionally or unintentionally, and the silence is full of unspoken words. Valeriana started to feel her eyelids getting heavy as she stared at the twilight sky.

Corvan, who had also been looking at the stars, decided to break the silence to say something he meant to say earlier.

"Valeriana, I-" he turned to the girl besides him only to see her fighting sleep. She was actually swaying on her feet.

"What is it?" She blinked awake and looked at him.

"Nothing at all. I'm going to my chambers and I suggest you do the same." Corvan had already gathered all the materials they had been using. He went to give them to Valeriana but she fell asleep within that time.

He just sighed impassively and put the papers back, so he could carry Valeriana. She automatically put her arms around his neck when she felt herself being moved. Her long honey-blonde hair swayed with their movements.

"Hey, Devil." The almost asleep girl murmured. She felt she had to say something to Corvan.

"What do you want stupid witch?"

She reached a hand up to caress his face. Her fingers brushed over his cheek to his nose, tracing a path over his furrowed brows of confusion before stopping right between his eyes.

"Je t'aime." She whispered before closing her eyes, her hand falling back to lay on her stomach.

"Wha-huh-why-what?" Corvan sputtered rapidly. An immediate blush rose on his face.

"Good night." She said with a smile. Soft snoring followed right after she said that, leaving Corvan to his embarrassment.

--------
You don't have to read the following A/N, it just gives extra info about the book in general.

Hi! Guess when I started writing this one-shot? I'll give you three guesses!

<3

<3

<3

Okay yeah I can't wait. I made this one-shot...

When I first started writing this book! Way way back in summer of 2016! I believe that around that time was when Orison was a work in progress, right? Meh I have a horrible memory, très mal.

I get inspiration quickly but if I lose the momentum it'll take me forever to finish what I do.

I'm so sorry! There's like, five others that I started when I first made this book of one-shots. This just part 20 out of 34 others I've gotten ideas for. Seriously -_- I checked the book.

The rules of house one I told you guys about earlier should be coming out soon, but no promises. I'm also horrible at keeping schedules.

Adventures at the Movies Part 3 is also a work in progress cause I lost my inspiration for it, which makes me really sad.

Also, I like to use French in my one-shots cause I'm in French 3 and I love the culture there.

I think I covered it. I only managed to finish this because of the comments you people post. Thank you so much for liking what I write.

If you got through this whole author note, thanks. If you didn't, it's okay cause I know how tedious they seem. Either way, thanks for supporting this book because this is our way of showing support to MyLovelyWriter  for her wonderful CASeries.

Hugs and Kisses
Marinity