Happy New Year!

A little Rowneeka to change things up

A door opened.

"Your Highness."

A young woman with reddish-brown hair bowed slightly at the waist to a man out on a balcony. The room itself was quite extravagant, befitting of a young prince of Europe. The kingdom's colors, all shades of blue, decorated the room so it seemed like one was looking through a blue colored lens. The prince was decorated similarly lavishly. He wore a light-blue button up shirt with a dark blue satin vest. Powder blue slacks paired with sapphire blue dress shoes completed the look. Perched upon his head was a simple silver crown decorated with varying shades of blue gems.

"You called for me?"

The prince turned away from the marble railing to look at his personal bodyguard. She was currently dressed in her more casual clothing since it was a holiday. Blue jeans, a glittery lavender long-sleeved shirt that matched her eyes with a blue vest over it. Her sword was sheathed at her side, her hair in a bun and comfortable blue boots covered her feet.

"Beautiful..." he murmured.

"Did you say something Prince Rowe?" She asked.

"No, I didn't say a thing Aneeka." Rowe smoothly covered his awe at the beauty of his bodyguard.

"I was just admiring the scenery. Please rise."

"Right," Aneeka blinked owlishly at him. She obeyed his order and came out of her bow,"Did you need anything?"

"I just wanted you to enjoy the coming of the New Year with me." He said simply.

"Oh ok." It took a couple seconds for the words to process and a blush steadily rose up, reaching the tip of her ears.

Rowe had already turned back to the sky outside the castle walls, missing her reaction but he could guess what she did.

"So will you please join me on the balcony Aneeka."

"I-I I'm afraid that would be o-overstepping my station your highness." Her stutter made Rowe grin.

He just turned and walked up to her. She felt a little intimidated but stood her ground, trying not to show any fear. When he was half a foot away from her he stopped and looked her straight in the eyes, lavender meeting russet. He then slung her over his shoulder and walked back to the balcony, carrying her like a sack of potatoes. Aneeka was in such shock she blanked out.

When they got back to the balcony, he put her down. Her feet felt unsteady and so Rowe gripped her by the shoulders to help balance her.

"Are you alright?" He asked worriedly.

"Fine, fine. I'm fine." She waved him off, too embarrassed to talk a lot.

"Oh wow." She gaped at the amazing scene in front of her. Down below, many lanterns dotted the castle grounds while twinkling fairy light strands hung from every available place. It was a clear sky and the stars twinkled brightly. While she was looking at the sky, Rowe was looking at her. Some of her hair came loose from her bun, swaying in the brisk wind at the top of the castle.

"I'm going to tell her." He thought.

He reached over to tuck an errant strand behind her ear, drawing her attention. She looked at him and inwardly gulped at their close proximity. But her resolve strengthened, as did his.

"I'm going to tell him." She thought.

It was almost midnight and the partygoers down below were counting down the seconds.