Accidents Happen: Halloween Special

Part 4

"Here, drink this."

Charles handed Valeriana a steaming cup of tea, who took it gratefully.

Corvan had taken the notebook and skimmed through, checking for anything out of the ordinary. When he finished, he out it down and looked at Valeriana.

"Besides the ominous note in the color of blood, nothing seems to be out of the ordinary. And I'm sure we've all noticed strange things have been happening around you for a little while. Care to explain?"

Valeriana sighed and took a sip of her tea before speaking.

"Courtney told me about Henedira, an old ranker that lived in my room before. She told me a campfire ghost story about her and how she died and since then, all these things have been happening. These stupid, annoying, pissing-me-off incidents." Her tone got angrier as she spoke, recalling the unexplainable and mysterious 'accidents' that happened around her.

"I'm so pissed off right now, this ghost isn't going to boss me around!" She declared in standard stubborn Valeriana-style.

Corvan shook his head and sighed.

"It can't be the work of a demon because you would've sensed them immediately. Rowe, do you have any knowledge on this?"

Rowe took a couple moments to think before he spoke.

"The spirit is different from the soul but they are closely linked. However, there has been no record of the deceased's soul or spirit remaining after death. But just because no one knows doesn't mean it's impossible. A lot of things we considered improbable have come true with the recent movements from the demons. All of us can attest to that."

After the words from the resident expert in the spirit, everyone grew quiet, thinking about the problem.

Valeriana recalled her jade sphere's unique properties but dismissed the thought as what remained was merely a past self and not the actual soul living on after death.

No one could really recall anything that would help this case, but they all knew that something was happening to Valeriana for some odd reason.

Charles sighed and took off his glasses as he rubbed the bridge of his nose.

"There is simply not enough information to deal with this. Can you last for a little longer as we observe until we come up with a solution?"

Valeriana nodded her head sullenly. She expected another manipulative and masterful plan of his, but considering the oddness of the situation it wasn't surprising they were all at a loss.

She got up and stretched out, popping her shoulders.

"I'm going to go to bed. Good night."

She waved behind herself lazily and trotted up the stairs, sidestepping every few steps to avoid some random falling objects.

———————

Several days later, Valeriana was practicing archery with Brindon in the courtyard.

Taking a deep breathe, she looked down the arrow and pulled back the bowstring as best she could. When she felt ready, she took aim and was about to release the arrow.

Before she could however, a force knocked her down to the ground.

"Valeriana, I found out what we should do!!"

A familiar voice shouted excitedly in her face. Valeriana groaned from the sudden impact and blinked her eyes rapidly as she tried to focus.

"Tamara...? What do you mean, you found out what we should do?"

Tamara got up and exclaimed energetically, "We need to hold a séance to contact Henedira's spirit!"

"There are séances in Valemnia?" Valeriana questioned.

"Séances?" Brindon said.

Valeriana turned to him and said, "They're a type of event on Earth. It's when a person who acts a medium-"

"-tries to contact the dead by having their spirit possess them!" Tamara interrupted her. She continued explaining the intricacies of it from some book she found on Earth customs.

Valeriana paid no mind to it and got up from the ground and patted off the dirt from her clothing. She picked up her bow but was shocked into silence.

"-and there's lot of candles and sometimes they use an Ouija board to communicate if they don't have a suitable vessel. Isn't that right Val?"

Tamara turned to Valeriana only to find her staring in horror at her bow.

"What's wrong? Is it Henedira again?"

She shook her head no.

"Then what has you so shocked?"

Valeriana looked at Tamara and Brindon with fear in her eyes.

"I was about to shoot an arrow when you knocked me down. But I don't see it anywhere in the vicinity. Not on the target or on the ground."

"So?" Tamara prompted.

"So?" Brindon echoed.

"So where did my arrow go?"

Before they could contemplate the answer, a loud roar broke the air.

"Who was stupid enough to shoot an arrow into my rooms?!"

Valeriana gulped audibly at the familiar voice. When she looked up, she saw Corvan leaning out of an open window holding her arrow in his hand.

"I am so doomed."