Sacrifice

"Valeriana, don't do this!"

"You can't!"

Valeriana's honey-blonde hair fanned out as she turned away from her dearest friends. Tears started to drip from her eyes while she hugged herself tightly, fearing she may fall apart if she let go.

"I'm sorry guys, but I have to do this. This isn't just me or them, it's about saving the worlds. You have to let me do this."

She started walking towards the peak of the mountain they were regrouping on. Genevieve clung to Zevlin sobbing as the elder twin tried to stay strong for his younger sister but the faintest tremble of his jaw gave away his feelings.

"Valeriana, there has to be another way. We can find another way!" Tamara cried to her.

Valeriana only turned her head towards them, her hair hooding her bright blue eyes.

"You know there's no other way Tam. We've searched for two years and got nothing. This has to happen. We aren't in some movie like Kingdom Knights. It's real life." When she lifted her head, her tears twinkled like the stars that started to appear.

Tamara turned away and crossed her arms, her body shaking as she held in her cries. Charles walked up to her and gave her a handkerchief which she accepted gratefully and blew into loudly. His brows twitched a little but his eyes started to sparkle as well. He took off his glasses and pulled out another handkerchief to wipe at his eyes.

"We can help you Valeriana, you don't have to do this alone." Rowe pleaded with her.

"I'll shoot all of them between their eyes before you get to them." Aneeka threatened weakly. Rowe wrapped his arms around her in comfort.

"I really thank you for the thought, but I have to do this alone." She stressed the last word. Valeriana started to slowly walk backwards so she could face them.

The twins reached out to grab her but were stopped by a snap on their wrists.

"Unfortunately, as much as I really hate to admit it, she's right." Raziel spoke up. His whip was clutched tightly in his hands, his knuckles turning white.

"Are you crazy!" Elfre cried. She raised her hand as if to hit him but then it fell limply to her side. "You can't be serious," her voice quiet and empty.

"I'm afraid I see the point as well. Valeriana is our only known hope right now." Keelan said. For once, the food behind him was left untouched on the blanket they had used.

"Right." Brindon echoed. His eyes showed a startlingly dullness the others had never seen before.

"If she thinks she can do this, she should do this. We can't stop her, you should know that."

"Can't stop."

Normally, everyone would be laughing at the comic duo of Keelan and Brindon, but in this setting the mood was so somber it felt like a heavy blanket was suffocating their souls.

"Thank you for understanding Keelan...Brindon...Raziel. This is something I have to, need to, and want to do." More tears escaped her and when the others caught sight, the same happened to them. Muffled sobs echoed in the silence as well as loud wails and cries.