A truth so loud you can't ignore

The lights were so blinding I couldn't see the end of the stage, Harry guided me, walking towards our spot. We had decided earlier that we would do the closing speech together. People would be wondering who I was, but we were going to put out an official statement afterwards. 

"Good evening everybody and everybody watching at home." Harry said to the crowd that cheered happily.

"Wow, what a ride the last four days has been – I said you would be moved, inspired and entertained – was I right? As the great Stevie Wonder says: Team work makes the dream work!"

Now it was my turn. "4 days, 10 sports, 13 support dogs, 14 nations, 149 events, 410 medals, 485 competitors, 836 volunteers, 1008 friends and family, hundreds of hours of gruelling competition - and more smiles, tears, hugs and cheers than you could ever count." It was quite weird hearing my voice this loud.

"We'd like to begin by thanking Ken Fisher for taking up the challenge of hosting the games here in the US and also to thank his team, led by Vicky Gosling, for delivering a remarkable event. We're all so grateful for all you've done." Harry went on.

"I've been hugely honoured to hand out gold silver and bronze medals over the course of this competition, but what meant the most to me, was handing out your Invictus Foundation medallions this evening. Those medallions are the real prizes, for the years of intense rehabilitation you've put yourselves through to be here." It was inspiring hearing Harry talk about this, even though I'd heard it a solid 5 times now, it still got to me every time and I couldn't help but squeeze Harry's hand excitedly. We were slowly walking around the stage, our hands still entwined.

It was my turn again. "The competition has been fierce with performances of the highest international standard across a number of events. But what inspired us," I looked at Harry at this point. "was the courage to make it to the starting line, to take to the field or to dive into that pool, motivated by the goal of giving your all - medal or no medal. You showed your families, your friends and yourselves, just how far you've come, regardless of the result." The public cheered loudly.

Now my favorite parts were coming. We were going to talk about some of the most remarkable performances of the last few days and big pictures would be popping up on the screen behind us.

"What could explain the remarkable sportsmanship of Mark Urquart in sacrificing gold on the track to push Stephen Simmons into first place?" Now we would both shout together. "Invictus!"

"How else could I describe the way I felt seeing Tim Payne, a man I met three years ago to the day, in his hospital bed at Walter Reed, beaming as he wore his gold medal round his neck? Invictus!"