The Monster

I stared at the piece of brass, as the eyes of the Hellhound stared back at me.

"Why did they choose this symbol?" I thought Hellhounds weren't evil like the rebellion, they were just trained dogs we used to guard the Underworld.  Most of them were actually not very aggressive unless on duty, like a police dog. They were only bad if they were taught to be bad, yet there it was, a brass Hellhound snarling at me.

"What are you looking at?" William whispered as he walked towards me.

"Nothing." I could feel my eyes watering, my voice quivering. William looked at me as he took one more step.

"You know you can tell me anything, right?" he whispered he ran his hand through his golden hair.

"Yah I know." I mumbled, I couldn't manage to look at his eyes and say more.  William sat down next to me, it was a little awkward because I was still wearing that stupid pale green hospital gown and it was starting to ride up. 

    "Anything." He put his hand on my shoulder then looked down, his eyes caught on the pin.

    "What is this?" He reached down to grab it.

    "No!" I screamed, Will jumped in the air.

    "What the Hades! Nico, what's wrong?" He looked at me like I was crazy.

    "I-I just wanted you to, well umm." I stammered

     "Think Nico, Think!" I thought.

    "Just don't touch that!" I argued, I didn't want Will to have any association with the rebellion. He looked at me with a broken expression, like a piece of glass. His hand slowly retreated, and his hand looked like it was shaking.

    "Then tell me what is going on," His voice was shaking, part of me wanted to tell him the truth. I knew If I did that it would only get him killed or worse, and I didn't want that for him; of course had to lie for his own good.

    "Nothing, it's just that I don't want you to get pricked by the pin." I tried to make my voice like a wall, keeping out all William's questions. He took his hand off my shoulder, and stared at the pin.

    "Nico, you know that I care about you, and I-I don't want to see you suffering." He looked at me with kindness in his eyes, rage burned within me. William had no idea what was happening and I had been fighting so much rage lately that him saying this made me furious. My rage for the rebellion, the rage that I had to do my duty alone because I didn't want to drag anyone down with me. All of my anger boiled inside me, and even though it wasn't meant for William. I busted. 

    "Suffering?! What would you know about suffering!?" I jumped up, despite the hospital gown.

    "You don't know the meaning!" I snapped, William looked at me like a deer in the headlights. What would he know? He was only a son of Apollo, his life was full of sunshine; he would never have to deal with an Underworld rebellion, or deal with half of the things I had to.

    "You think you're the only one who suffers?!" Williams voice no longer sheepish, but in a tone of rage I have never herd before. He stood up, sometimes I forget how tall he was. "You don't know what its like to have everyone depend on you!" He yelled.

    "If he only knew" I thought, then he wouldn't be talking like this.

    "Oh, please! You heal just like every child of Apollo, who's only a nuisance in my life!" I screamed, if I was in my right mind, I would have never said that. William stopped talking and looked at me like I was a monster - which I was - it was only a matter of time before he put two and two together.