The Calling

I was thrown from the darkness, with no air in my lungs and sorrow in my heart. I had no idea where I was, and I didn't care.

    "Far away." I whispered, I looked around me. All I could see was a dirt road and an old barn, with a small farm home not to far away. The cold was bitter and was like Death's breath upon my neck, my hand was throbbing from the weapon that took a chunk out of my left hand. Luckily I used my right hand for sword and other types of combat, I only write with my left hand. Blood was soon covering my skin, to the point my hand was only red. For a moment I stared at it in awe, like I was in a trance of pain.  Then the throbbing started once more. What was not covered in blood was losing color. I took the sleeve of the shirt I was wearing and ripped it off as a wrap for my hand, I gently put it on the wound.

    "Just like Will taught me." I thought, the memories of William taunted me. I fought back tears, or any other emotion for that matter. I looked up, the sun was glaring in my eyes, but I could tell the sun wouldn't be up much longer. I grabbed my backpack and I started walking towards the barn. I didn't feel safe out in the open like this, like I was being watched.

    "Probably the gods" I could hear the mocking tone in my voice, sometime I felt like the gods felt pleasure when horrible things happen to me; like some weird form of entertainment. Most likely called: "How Much Longer 'till Nico Has a Mental Breakdown!" or "Lets make Nico's Life a Living Hell!" I once heard rumours that the gods even had bets regarding me. Right now I felt like all of Olympus had their eyes on me; waiting for me to fail. I kept walking closer to the old barn, it was stereotypical looking: faded red paint that was peeling, white roof with multiple patch marks from previous storms, and tangled weed that climbed up the side. Yet it also looked warm and mildly safe. I got to the doors, I thought they might have been locked and I would have to break in, but the doors swung open with ease. I took a step, peering my head in just in case, But then I noticed something. A small candle was lit in the corner of the barn. It was hypnotising and put me in a trance to walk towards it, like a calling for me.  Like it wanted to take my sorrow away, how the luminous flickers of the flames were trying to help me; heal me. Soon William's face was nothing but a distant memory quickly fading away, where the only thing in the world that mattered was this candle. My mind was slowing down, my nerves going numb; time froze around me. I was soon one step away from the candle, memorizing every detail.

    "Hello there." A cheerful voice spoke behind me, I turned slowly not because I was scared. Just because I did not wish to look away from the candle and its mesmerizing light, finally my eyes could no longer see the light.

    "Hello" she said again, she had old farm dress on the kind you only see in old movies, the dress was a pale blue with little white flowers covering it. Her hair was in pigtails with a yellow ribbon holding them in place, freckles covered her face which had a slight tan on it; her smile was kind and soft.

    "I've been waiting." she smiled.

My mind was still filled with clouds. My words refused to come out, like my throat was filled with honey.

    "Oh your hurt!" she looked at my bandaged hand, she slowly put her hand on my shoulder, her eyes twinkled like the stars in the sky.

    "You don't want to sleep in this barn." She said cheerfully.

    "Come inside the house." She smiled with glee, she seemed so "Old School" like she was from the same generation as me. Like from the 1930's, but I didn't care, her wish was my command; if she wanted me in the house I was going in the house. We walked out of the barn to the old house, she led me up the steps to the front porch and opened the barley hinged door. I walked in the whole place smelled like apple pie and lavender, and it was so warm all of my angers and sorrow were completely melted away.