Ch. 39

Arin's POV

I threw my book bag on the couch and heard my mom in the kitchen. This is it.

As I peaked in, I saw she was smiling and humming a song that I've never heard. I snuck up behind her and said hi.

"Oh! Hello, Arin! How was school?" Her voice was high and sweet. I don't know why she's so happy today. It's not like her.

"Yeah, great, I have something to ask..." I stared breathing heavily and tried to hurry up this conversation. "Can I go to New Jersey to see a-a friend?" It stung me to call Dan my friend.

My mom dramatically turned around from the pot of spaghetti and stared me down. "What friend?"

"H-he used to go to school with me, b-but he moved away and I want to visit him." She could tell I was lying, but I was too nervous to tell her he was some guy from the Internet.

"No." She turns back around as if nothing happened. I should have seen this coming. I felt tears threatening to flow.

"Oh. O-okay. Sorry to bother you, then." I dash up to my bedroom and lock the door. I'm not crying, just breathing heavily. I can't cry for some reason. Not now.

Private Party Chat

Egorapper: Hey, Dan! I have an idea, but I need your help.

Dantheman: What is it?

Egorapper: Just send me your address. And ask your parents if you can fly to California.

Dantheman: what the fuck are you saying?

Egorapper: I bet if we can get enough money then you can visit here for your birthday.

Dantheman: That would be great, but my dad would have to come with me.

Egorapper: Tickets can't be that expensive.

"One way ticket from New Jersey to California. Prices start at $949."

"Damn it."