Ch. 20

"Dude, I am so sorry that happened!"
Dan was sad and understanding after the story. He felt bad he couldn't be there for Arin although they were on the same coast. "Suzy isn't the only person you have. I'm here."

"You're really not," Arin uttered. After all of the emotion from the story, he was ready to let go. "You haven't been here for me since we broke up."

"Oh, I'm sorry, but it just felt awkward. Can you blame me?" Dan's voiced raised. He became defensive, something Arin had never seen from Dan.

"Well, it doesn't have to be awkward. We can try to be friends again. I miss this." Arin gave Dan a warm smile and looked straight into the webcam. Dan hasn't seen that look in what felt like decades but had only been one year. He missed it.

Arin's mind flooded with all of the wonderful memories he had with Dan. The games, the skypes, the dates, the visits, their times together were so precious to Arin. He clung onto those memories like his life depended on it. Arin was so happy for those 13 months with Dan.

"What happened to us?" Arin thought to himself the most intrusive thoughts he's had in a long time. He felt hopeless, alone. He could always call Suzy or his mom or even Barry. Arin's mind drained. His thoughts when blank. His face flushed.

"Dude, I don't know how to say this, but I've been thinking a lot about... us... lately and I think we should-"

"I think we should just stop the call." Arin looked down in defeat. His legs were shaking. He didn't want to lose a good friend like Dan. Even though they barely ever talk, Arin always thought Dan and him had something inseparable. Even if they were just friends, Arin relied on Dan as a friend.

Arin hung up the call without giving Dan a chance to say goodbye.