Ch. 24.9

Arin's POV

I sat up in my computer chair, waiting for Dan to call. It took only two minutes until my computer beeped and I accepted his call.

"Hey, Arin!" He says, enthusiastically. I smile when I see how happy he is to see me.

"Hey, Dan." I say in a lower, less energetic voice. His happy exterior turns into a face of concern.

"Are you okay?" He asks, looking at his screen. Presumably to look at my remaining injuries.

I still had a bruised arm, marked wrists, and puffy eyes. The puffy eyes were from crying just before I started the call, though.

I haven't been at my best lately.

"You don't look so good. I wish I could jump through the screen and hug you." He says, giving a light-hearted smile into his webcam.

I smile back, trying to reassure him. "I feel better than I did the other night. Sorry I had to pull you into it," I apologize for the fourth time.

Dan sighs, "It's okay. As long as your safe, I'm happy." He keeps smiling.

"I don't feel safe. Jon got moved out of all of my classes and is seeing a counselor. What if he comes for me?" I worry. I didn't mean to ask that out loud.

"You will be okay, I promise." He just keeps smiling. It's an empty smile.

I see those a lot now.

"I'm sorry. I just don't feel like myself. It's as if Jon sucked all of the life out of me. I feel so... Hopeless." I begin to tear up. Dan's smile fades when he sees me wipe my eyes dry.

"Arin, I know you and Jon just broke up and stuff. I don't mean to come onto you, but...