Chapter 8: A New Awakening

I wake up in a bed in where I'm guessing to be the Medical Bay. I am staring up at the ceiling and I can feel someone holding my right hand. I turn my head to see who it is and I see that the person is none other than James. Great. I pull my right hand away and gently set it on my stomach, making James let go and turn my head away from him.

"Don't be like that, Rose, please." Says James.

I say nothing, I can't. He betrayed me for her.

"Please! I can't live without my best friend."

"If I'm your best friend, then why did you hit me?" I ask, turning my head towards James.

Silence.

"You know what? I don't want to know." I say, turning away from him again.

"Please, Rose! Just look at me."

Someone enters the room. James gets up from his chair and walks out of the room with the person who just entered.

What are you doing, here, Anoura? I overhear.

I-I just wanted to apologize... To both of you. Another voice says.

Are you kidding? If you haven't noticed, it's not the best time to apologize. James's voice says.

I just want to try. Even if she doesn't listen I still want her to know I am sorry. Says Anoura.

Does she want to apologize to ME? I think.

And what has motivated you to do this noble gesture? James says with venom in his voice. Last I remember you thought she was an attention whore, who I shouldn't be hanging out with.

Why is that not surprising? I think to myself.

I know, I know, I wasn't the nicest of people back there but I was still a little mad that she almost KILLED me! AND insulted me! She retorts back with slightly less venom.

I roll my eyes and look at the door for my room and I lift my right hand off of my stomach and point it at the doorknob and lock it with my telekinesis.

Who needs them. They obviously don't care about my feelings. I think, looking up at the white, boring ceiling.

"Anoura I think it is best if you leave and come back another time." Says James and with that he tries to open the door but it only rattles.

Sigh.

"I think I should go, too," says James with sadness in his voice. With that, he walks away and I think so does Anoura.

Finally. I think. Some alone ti-

A doctor walks in another door on the opposite side of the room. This doctor is the medical doctor and not one of the others who test on us.

"Welcome back." The doctor says.

I smile. This doctor is sweet... Sweet like Dr. Merley was. He has brown hair and green eyes and a tiny mustache that's barely visible resting on his upper lip.

"Your blood levels are stabilizing so you should be out of here within a few hours. I can also give you some painkillers for your hand." He says, staring down at his clipboard.

"Got anything for a broken heart?" I ask sarcastically, my heart still aching.

"I'm afraid not, but you can talk to me about anything if you'd like." He says I guess trying to make me feel better.

"Well, it's not really a short story," I say.

"I have time to kill." He says a little humorously.

"Well..."