Chapter 13: Escape Plan

Well, James's process of... Warming up to Rose is going kinda... Like shit.
I mean, he could've told me that he wanted to do so with her sketchbook before I gave it to her. It's whatever, though. I told Rose about him. She thanked me for letting her know and then left. I really don't understand her.
*******
Ugh. Today's testing was exhausting. At least I got to plan a bit of our escape with Rose and then share with James. It seems that Rose is still feeling a little... Betrayed by James. She should be back for testing tomorrow.
    The two of them need to talk. It's kinda awkward seeing them like this. I need to report the status. I haven't in a couple days, now.
    I walk past the cafeteria and into the empty corridor from before. It has an eerie feel to it. The lights are on a very low and are flickering every few seconds. I shudder as I keep walking. I enter the room with the little. I open the floor board third down from the door and second to the left and pick up my old Motorola phone and dial the number I did before.
    The phone rings a few times before it's picked up.
    Agent Valentine report status. The deep, gravely voice of my hadler says.
    "Sir, I have some good news and some bad news and some news about the company. Which would you like to hear first?" I say.
    News about the company.
    "Well, according to Project Q, the Shadow Room needs a week to develop a serum that has the ability to weaken our power's effects on the guards and/or doctors."
    Really? That's not good. What about the rest?
    "Well, I have regained the trust in both Project Q and Project Z..."
    Great!
    "But there has been a really tight tension between the two of them seeing as Project Z almost accidentally killed Project Q while trying to save me from her."
    Well we can't have any of that! Get it fixed, Valentine.
    "Believe me, Sir. I'm way ahead of you."
    No, you're not.
    Then, he hangs up, leaving me sit alone in the room. I put the phone back in its secret hideaway spot and walk into the library where I see Rose drawing in her sketchbook. James is on the other side of the room, gawking at her.
    I walk over to James, who doesn't notice my arrival.
    "You know, it's quite sexy when a man is drooling over a girl like you are doing right now." I say sarcastically, also trying to get his attention.
    "Haha. Very funny." He says, clearly not amused, sitting back in his chair and crossing his arms.
    There is a certain expression on his face that's unforgettable. There's so much bad emotions mixed together and then plastered on his face and it looks awful. He puts his crossed arms on the table he's sitting at and buries his face in them. I pat his shoulder and walk over to Rose.
    I sit on the chair next to Rose and she gives me a glance. I look around the room and see a map of the facility like fire exits and such taped to a wall. I walk over to it and peel it off. On it is a thin layer of dust, indicating that it's at least a week since someone's even touched it.
    I walk back over to Rose and put the old map on the table. She glances at it, but remains silent.
    "What's that?" James says as he walks over to the table.
    "It's a map of the facility with fire exit routes." I respond.
    "We already know all of the rooms. And you know their codes."
    "Yes, but did you know about all of the corridors and tunnels this place has?"
    "No. Doctor Merely never said anything about them."
    "Well, maybe Doctor Merely was either lying, didn't know they existed, or never wanted to tell you."
    Then, Rose chimes in.
    "OR... That map is a fake and all of the things on it are fake."
    "Right." I say, pointing to Rose. "That's why I say we shouldn't trust it. This could be what the Shadow Room wants us to find."
    "We need to be careful." James says.
    "Honestly, I could care less how we get out. Just that we do." Rose says.
    "Here's something I don't get. Why do people say, 'I could care less' when they should say, 'I couldn't care less' and-" James begins, but is interrupted by the snapping in half of Rose's pencil. The room is getting noticeably warmer.
    Rose groans and gets up, slapping her sketchbook shut.
    "I'll be right back." She grumbles, stomping out of the library.
As she continues to go farther and farther away, the heat follows. It's obvious that James's spouting off made her mad... Maybe. No one can tell for sure.
"What was that about?" James asks, he and I still looking at the doorway in which Rose just stormed out of.
I look at him with a you know look.
He nods.
I wonder what she was drawing.
James and I turn our heads to the sketchbook.