Chapter 18: Sacrificed

Here we are again. The last room of the compound. Surprisingly, there are no guards in this room maybe they were all sent to the other rooms. Speaking of which, I can hear more guards running down the hall towards us. I try to pull the doors which are shatterproof glass panels surrounded in metal apart but I can't. I'm not strong enough. Rose has super strength, though. She may be able to open them.
"Rose. Can you see if you can open the door?" I ask, a little out of breath. She nods and grunts as she shoves her fingers into the crack between the doors to pry them open.
In a few seconds, veins are sticking out of Rose's skin and her muscles flex as she screams in pain(probably because of her hand), opening the doors inches at a time. After a minute, the door is open enough to the point that we could all squeeze through.
"Go! I won't be able to hold on much longer!" Rose says, struggling to keep the doors open.
Anoura ducks under Rose's arms and sneaks through the space between the doors. I can smell the outside now and imagine all of us finally free after eight years. After Anoura's out, I follow her.
As soon as I step out onto the grass and turn around.
Rose is still holding the door open and she looks behind her as some guards are a few rooms down.
I can tell that she's going to do something drastic.
"Rose... Come on. We're almost free." I say.
"I-I can't. They will just keep hunting us." She responds. "You remember my last name, right?"
Of course I do. I nod.
"Find my family and tell them I loved them."
"Rose."
Rose looks at me with love and tenderness in her eyes as they turn dark blue, the color of love.
"I forgive you, James. Forgive yourself."
Rose lets go of the door and they slam shut. I run up to the doors and bang on the glass.
"Rose! What are you doing? ROSE!" I scream and pound on the glass.
Rose turns around to the oncoming guards and she pushes a few of them back with her telekinesis and there are more coming.
She's not going to be able to do it. There's just too many.
She pushes some more back with her telekinesis, her left hand outstretched again but there are more to her left. One of which hits her left hand with a baton and it starts to bleed again. Another hits her in the head with the head with another baton and she collapses to the floor.
"ROSE! NO!" I scream and pound on the glass harder.
A voice booms in from the speaker system but I can't hear what it said. The guards all leave.
I look at Anoura who is concentrating on something and suddenly, the glass cracks slightly and then explodes into tiny itty bitty pieces, allowing us to easily walk in.
I rush over and kneel down next to Rose's pale, unconscious body in a left recumbent position with a pool of blood around her hand and one streak that goes from the wound on her head to the ground.
My hands are trembling and it starts to get hard to breathe. I look at Anoura who is looking down each hallway for something. I look back to Rose, her chest barely rising and the tips of her hair slowly turning black. I gently pick her up by the shoulders until she fits into my arms. I stare down to her and tears form in my eyes, streaming down my cheek.
I bring her closer to me and hug her, never wanting to let go.