Chapter 19: We Gotta Go! (Alternate Ending)

I hear a quiet sob that could only have come from James. I turn from looking down the hall for more guards to James who is holding Rose. I walk over to them and kneel down next to them. I put my hand on James's shoulder and he flinches. An alarm starts to go off.
"James. We gotta go." I say, concerned.
"N-no..." He sobs, his voice really shaky. "I'm not leaving her here."
"Listen. She's gone. Look at the tips of her hair. They're black. Black is the color of death. Get ahold of yourself. She's gone. She isn't coming back." I say sternly. I know it sounds cold hearted but we need to go and he needs to realize it.
James looks at me with his face covered in tears.
"How could you?" He asks. "I am not leaving here."
James starts to sob harder and his tears roll off his face and onto hers. It's really quite sad. I sigh as I push back tears and swallow a lump in my throat.
"Take her with, then. We have to go."
Rose's eyes open slightly and she looks up at James.
"Rose!" James gasps silently.
She puts her right hand up to his face and rubs it with her thumb. I swallow a lump in my throat and blink back tears. She gently puts her hand down and her head falls loosely, her eyes closing once again and her face rendering expressionless.