Epilogue Part I

Day two of the compound Anoura took me to. We're outside and the government has given us some nice clothes to wear besides the uniforms we had to wear in the Shadow Room. It's raining out and we're on top of a hill. At a funeral.
The funeral of my dear friend.
Rose.
Both Anoura and I are crying which is probably why it's raining. The priest is speaking about how we aren't here to mourn a death, but to celebrate a life and that Rose would only want us to laugh and smile, and not to cry and be upset or sad and all that shit.
"Would you like to say a few words, James?" The priest asks.
It takes a minute but I finally formulate my words into sentences.
"Yeah. Rose was an amazing person. I don't know how I would've survived being in the Shadow Room without her. She sacrificed herself for us. I-I-" I say right before sobbing.
Soon, my legs can't hold me up anymore and I collapse to my knees into the wet, muddy grass. Anoura kneels down and puts her hand on my shoulder, but says nothing. I turn to her and look at the tears in her eyes.
She extends her arms, signaling for a hug. I hug her tightly for a few seconds and then loosen my grip on her, beginning to cry on her shoulder.
Everybody else leaves us alone. Rose was buried earlier so they didn't meet to worry about putting her in the ground.
I then release Anoura from the hug.