Chapter 17: Escape Part II

Darkness consumes my vision and I'm taken to the night I was taken. I hear the scream coming from the woods just like before, but this time, no matter how hard I try, my feet move into the direction of the noise.
But I'm not greeted by the doctors, rather than a stranger hunched on the floor.
I bend down and reach out in front of me to tap the shoulder of the stranger but right before I touch the mysterious person, their head snaps around, making a horrifying cracking sound. I jump back and lose my balance, falling to the ground. I recognize the man's face to be no other than James's. He stares at me for a few seconds, his head backwards and pointed at me. This is the scariest thing I've ever seen.
"Wake up Rose." He says creepily.
My eyes pop open and I can tell that this is the real world again. I slow my breathing and relax a little bit. James and Anoura are fighting a couple of guards and I'm sitting against the wall. I try to move, but I'm too soar. James turns towards me and away from the guard he's fighting.
"Rose!" He says.
The guard throws a punch at him but I use all of my strength to block it and throw the guard into the wall behind him. He looks over to the guard and looks back at me.
Now, I know what you're thinking. Why did I just save James when he nearly killed me a week ago?
This is true, but he doesn't deserve to die.
Anoura just finishes the last guard off. She and James rush over to me. I don't feel so tired anymore, though I have a headache. They help me to my feet and I can't help but fall back over I can feel their hands start to grab me again.
"Wait. Let me get up" I say. The hands come off of me and I final find the strength to lift myself up.
"How long was I out for?"
"Give or take about 40 doors. That would make us on door 51." Anoura says.
The next door beeps and opens with no guards behind it. They're voice-activated?
"Can you run?" Anoura asks.
I nod. We all start running and Anoura keeps shouting 4051 and the other doors open in front of us. We come to a door that opens and behind it is a bear. Anoura and I stop but James just slows down and walks up to the beast.
"Oh no". He says. "We did not come all this way just to be mauled by a bear."
James goes on yelling at the bear and you can tell that the thing understands him and fears him. When James takes a step foreword, the bear takes a step back. Soon, James chases it back towards us and we step out of the way to let them pass.
James then clearly says, "Now you will sit here and stay here, Got it?"
He walks back in a fit of rage and I can't help but laugh.
We continue to run through a couple of rooms before running into the room that leads into the outside, the glass showing the bright green foliage that I haven't seen since our last escape attempt.