Chapter Ten

Edited 23/5/17

[][][]

Chapter Ten

After answer Finn's call, which was to let me know he would be at the gang warehouse late tonight, we sat around the dinner table chatting about school, friends and anything that wasn't about my life.

I didn't do much talking.

"It was nice to meet you Ava." Jules says to me as I step outside.

"Thank you for having me for dinner." I reply, hugging her goodbye.

"Be sure to come again." She continues happily, while grabbing Gabby and hugging her to her.

"Will do, bye Gabby." I say smiling. She giggles, but her exhaustion can be seen through her eyes.

I wave goodbye and follow Caleb to his car. We drive silently.

"Can I drop you home?" Caleb asks, while his eyes are focused on the road.

I've had Caleb drop me off at the park because I didn't want him to see my home. Also I don't want him to know where I live. I really don't want unexpected visits from him.

"No thanks." I reply awkwardly, gazing out the window

"Are you homeless?" He asks half joking half serious.

I look over at him.

"Totally." I joke. He notices my sarcasm and grins.

He looks at me out the corner of his eye, and I pretend I don't notice.

"Why won't you let me drop you home?" He asks, raising his eyebrow.

I sigh. I wish he would just drop it.

"Listen Caleb, I get your trying to be nice or whatever, but I seriously cannot deal with anything right now. So can you just drop the friendly act." I say seriously.

Caleb bites his lip, and I shudder.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to step over the line." He says solemnly. A pang of guilt washes over me for speaking so angrily to him, especially after his family had allowed me into their family for dinner. 

He slowly pulls up to the park, as soon as the car stops I hop out and start walking.

Caleb rolls down the window, I look back and see him contemplating something. "Ava, I'm sorry about you parents." He yells from the window.

I walk back over to his truck, he watches me intently. A look in his eye, I can only describe as weary. 

"I'm fine." I reply awkwardly leaning against the window.

"You can trust me Ava." He replies truthfully.

I step back and wave to him.

I wish I could trust you.

I watch as he drives away, making me wonder why he cares. He has been nothing but interested in me. I need to be careful. Really careful.

I continue to think about what I'm going to do as I carry on with the short walk back home.

[][][]

"If you mess this up, I swear I will kill you." I yell furiously at the teenager in front of me.

"Yes ma'am." He replies quietly, burying himself into the ground to get away from my cold stare. I nod my head at the body guards surrounding us, they grab the teen and drag him out of the alleyway.