Chapter 29

"Cam! What happened at that last turn?" I shout, over the revving of the other competitors cars. 

"I had some dirt in my eye" Cameron makes up excuses for the corner I passed him on during the race. 

It was Saturday, Tommy and I came to the races and I wanted to race because Cameron wanted a rematch from last time I bet him.

It had been a week since my date with Caleb. I hadn't told Tommy about it, and I'm assuming Caleb hadn't told Sam, because Sam would have asked me about it. My stomach still fluttered thinking about our kiss.

Therefore I don't think about it much. 

We had been pretty casual at school, we hung out on Wednesday after school, going to bowling. I had fun, I didn't doubt that I would have. Caleb makes me feel like another person, someone I enjoy more then my reality sometimes.

I forget about my responsibility's with him. My responsibility's to the gang. Tommy has been curious about my whereabouts, and I know he will ask me soon what I have been up to. But for now, I'm only thinking about the racing. 

"Yeah, It was probably my dirt from when I passed you" I tease Cameron. 

He glares at me but I can see the amusement in his eyes. 

"Rematch?" He asks with a serious but humorous glint in his eyes. 

"Sometime soon, You can count on it!" I lightly punch his arm and he chuckles. Walking me back to where I parked my car after the race. 

Cameron is a really good friend of mine, I've known him for a long time. His blonde hair is stuck to his forehead from the sweat of the sunny day. Cameron is 1 year older than me, but not much taller. He has his parents height.

We walk together towards my car, where Tommy is leaning against the bonnet of. 

I whack his head, and he shrugs sheepishly, stepping away from the car. He knows I hate when he leans on my car. 

"Be seeing you soon for that rematch Cammy" I smirk at him, as I get inside my car. He just scoffs, but starts laughing. 

Tommy gets in the passenger seat and immediately turns the air conditioner up. Driving out of the track pits, is hard when the crowd who have come to watch the competitors, get's in the way. 

I groan, as yet another cluster of people walk behind my car. Never should have reversed out of here. 

Tommy notices my annoyance, so gets out the car to deal with them. I watch in the mirror as he goes behind my car. 

He doesn't have to speak, I know people recognize him. We are regulars here. They all clear out of the way for us to get through. When we reach the clearing Tommy gets back in the car. 

We drive back to North Shore with the radio blaring. I'm in a good mood after the race with Cameron. Not even the annoying crowds broke my spirit. 

"Lunch?" I ask Tommy, he grins and nods. 

We settle for a diner, surprisingly it's the one Caleb and I, came to after our night being locked in the school. 

As we pull up, a bunch of drop kicks check out my car, and I worry they will put their little drop kick hands on my Mustang. 

Tommy gets out first, and the kids scamper when they see the death glare from Tommy. Sometimes having a scary best friend is funny. 

We sit down at a table, aware that the diner got uncomfortably quieter as Tommy and I entered.