Chapter 28

"We're here" he grins.

I turn to look at the place.

"Oh my god..."

Caleb jumps out of the truck and comes around to open my door while I stare at the surprise.

"Caleb..? have you taken me here to kill me?" I ask still looking at the abandoned carnival fair.

"Oh crap! What gave my plan away?" Caleb jokes, grinning from ear to ear and locking his truck as he leads me towards the once padlocked gate.

"It's not exactly romantic, however this place is beautiful at night considering all the power still works" Caleb explains and I watch in amusement as he slides through the gap in the gate, even though it isn't locked.

"Why is the power still on?" I ask, opening the gate and stepping through. Which makes me laugh as I catch the surprised and embarrassed look of Caleb, considering he must have been unaware the gate was open.

"Ahh I don't know" he shrugs, grins and grabs my hand and begins pulling me further towards the abandoned carnival fair.

We walk down the path, and past colorful, run down carnival rides and food stands.

This place is beautiful. It isn't creepy like it would seem to be for an abandoned carnival fair, it's actually full of color and character.

The carnival rides are painted in stripes and spots for more amusement.

The food stands are highlighted with bold letters to catch the attention of once passing people.

"How long has this place been abandoned?" I ask, noticing a few leafs blown onto the path.

"About a month" Caleb says, letting go of my hand and running over to a ladder that leads to the roof of a food stand.

"What are you doing?" I ask, my eyebrow raised as I see Caleb climb up and look around.

"Getting a different perspective" he says, smiling.

I smile and stop walking.

"Come up here with me" he says pointing next to him on top of the food stand.

"No, I'm good down here" I say looking around.

"Ava, you should experience things differently some times" Caleb comments.

I look up at him and shrug.

He chuckles. "What I mean is, how many people would be allowed or bothered to look at a carnival from the height of a food stand roof?"

"None"

"Exactly. See things in a new way" Caleb says climbing down the ladder and grabbing my hand to pull me up the ladder with him.

As I regain my footing on the roof of the food stand, Caleb lets out a content sigh and I look up and notice the small tear in the top of a tent across the path. I notice several leafs covering the path and the silver poles that keep the tents up. Only after noticing my surroundings do I realize the beauty of this view by looking beyond the carnival fair and seeing the distinct mountains in the distance, that are bolder than usual because of the coloring of the sky as the sun sets.

"It's beautiful" I say.

"See what I mean" Caleb says smirking.

I nudge him with my shoulder as if to say 'whatever'.

We stand on the roof, both Caleb and I, in silence. Noticing and enjoying the small things above the carnival that no one else would notice.