Chaper Four

****A/N I know it has been gushy but the Games will be pretty gory. I won't try to drag this out anymore, I shortened it up a LOT ad I honestly wasn't expecting it to be so lovey and gross.  Enjoy!***

"Gale...I don't know what to say." I didn't, and I wanted to go back home and sleep in. Like most people do on Reaping day. After a few seconds I would check the snares then go home. "I'm going to check the snares. If you want to come you can. If not, I will swing by your house once I am done."

I pushed past him and walked through the woods. I could feel him more then hear him, you learn how to be quiet in the woods. I came up to the first snare and got a rabbit. As I was trying to reset it, Gale came up to me and helped. He had, well I guess you could call it a special talent for setting up snares.

We walked along part of the line of snares, if we walked the whole thing it would talk hours. We didn't speak at all, unless to talk about the snare.

Once we got back over the fence and split up the food, we each got 2 rabbits and tons of berries. I went home and washed my hair in the tub. My mother came in and braided my hair wordlessly. I went into the dresser and tried to find an outfit.

"Katniss, you can wear my dress again. I don't mind." My mother said. (Picture on the side).

I grabbed it and put it on. Prim was wearing the same outfit she did last year, (Pic on side).  "Katniss, where did all of this bread and vegetables come from?"

"Yeah, about that," I didn't want to tell them what happened with Peeta, but didn't know what else to say. "Peeta was feeling generous and gave us that in exchange for some meat and berries. That was before he found out..." I didn't like to think about it. When I came in last night, they had it on again.

"Katniss, are you okay?" Prim asked. I nodded and smiled.

"Of course little duck. Are you ready?" She nodded. We walked to the town and into the line. They would prick your finger for attendance purposes. We went through, got our finger pricked, then I hugged Prim and told her to find mom after like last time.

I stood in the little area for the 17-year-olds and waited. After a while, Effie came up and started talking. She explained that this year they would pick the victor first, for the Quarter Quell. There was the girls bowl on the left and the guys on the right like normal, but there was a small bowl to the immediate right of the microphone, on a table like the other ones.

Effie reached into the bowl and pulled out the name. Like every year. "Peeta Mellark!" I paled. I knew he probably would, 50/50 but...I composed myself. I didn't want anyone to know.

After Peeta came up she went over to the girls bowl and grabbed a name. "Katniss Everdeen!" I kept a straight face and walked up to the stage. I looked at Peeta, and saw him trying to keep himself composed. 

I walked up to the stage and Effie squeezed my arm. I stood next to Peeta and looked out at the sky, and the trees in the distance. I kept my face blank and thought about oranges, something we got on a very rare occasion.

When I came back from thinking about oranges, I heard Effie ripping the tape that held the paper. "Gale Hawthorne!"

I looked at Peeta and his mouth was on the floor. I felt a tear coming our of my eye and wiped it away. Gale walked up to the stage looking confident. He smiled at me and I fake-smiled back at him. I wondered what other people would be thinking of that, but who cares?

Peeta, Gale, and I were going into the Hunger Games.