Chapter Nineteen

The song on the side is the song below, so if you want to hear it, its over there. (: Enjoy!

I was just barely asleep when the Panam anthem began to play. They would play the anthem the whole time. There was the seal, then a simple picture of the person/people who died and their district number. It doesn't say anything other then that.

All the victors from one and two made it, the other four didn't. Those were the kids that Finnick and I killed. Then it was Finnick, all the tributes from five, Paylor, then the two tributes from district eleven. I was glad not to see Gale's face in the sky, and drifted off into a restless sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Run! Don't stop!" I don't know who is running, I just know I can't stop. I can't see, and before I know it the ground beneath me is gone, and I am falling. The rocks at the bottom should comfort me.

I just keep falling. Endlessly falling. Someone is calling out for me, but I can't do anything but stare at the nice, sharp rocks I am about to land on.

"Katniss!" Someone is hissing at me. I open my eyes to find Peeta inches away.

I reach for my bow and look around. "What? Is something wrong?" He has to say no a few times before it gets through.

I lean against a tree and take a deep breath. "You were thrashing around in your sleep, I was scared. Are you okay? Bad dream?" I frown. I don't remember what I was dreaming about.

"I'm not sure. I remember seeing the faces in the sky, then nothing until you woke me up." I rub my arms and see, or feel, that I am covered in sweat. "Is it really that hot in here?" I ask. I look at Peeta and see that his cheeks and nose are a rosy pink.

I exhale, and you can see my breath. "Why don't you go to sleep. I will keep watch. Sorry about freaking out." I say. He lays down and I sit there, trying to stay awake.

My mind searches for something happy to think about, but every time I close my eyes I see Finnick, Paylor, or the Careers laying dead. I slip out of the sleeping bag and scale a tree. Looking at the moon I judge it to be almost midnight.

I quickly climb back down and sip some water. We have one and a quarter of it left. I make a mental note to dedicate tomorrow to finding good, clean water. I climb back into the sleeping bag and absently rub my hand back and forth through Peeta's hair.

I start to sing:

Are you, are you

Coming to the tree

Where they strung up a man they say murdered three.

Strange things did happen here

No stranger would it be

If we met up at midnight in the hanging tree.

Are you, are you

Coming to the tree

Where the dead man called out for his love to flee.

Strange things did happen here

No stranger would it be

If we met up at midnight in the hanging tree.

Are you, are you

Coming to the tree

Where I told you to run so we’d both be free.

Strange things did happen here

No stranger would it be