Chapter 20: It's Not Like I Meant To

Song: Doubt by Twenty One Pilots

---------------------

-Dawson-

It was nearly one when I started climbing the ladder to Liv's room. I had to remember that her dresser wasn't there anymore so I didn't hurt myself.

I pushed open one panel quietly, hoping not to wake Liv if she was already sleeping. But she wasn't. She was standing a few feet in front of the window with wide eyes and arms crossed over her chest. "You okay?" I asked and opened the other panel before bracing my hands against the bottom of the window.

"No," she whispered. "Hurry up and get in here."

"I have a feeling I really shouldn't be here," I said, not moving from my position.

"Dawson," she hissed and stepped closer. "Just get in here."

Carefully, I maneuvered myself through the window without causing myself pain and making any noise. I quietly closed the window and Liv pulled me over to her bed. "What happened?" I questioned.

"My dad," she said quickly, "he found out that I skipped school today."

My heart skipped. "Jude?"

Liv quickly shook her head. "Aunt Mere, you know, because she is the principle."

"Are you in trouble?"

She breathed and brought her knees up to her chest. "No, thank God. I said I got there and um, yeah, you know."

I looked at her curiously with narrowed brows. And then it hit me. "Oh, right." I nodded. "So everything's okay? He doesn't know I was with you?"

"He knows you brought me what I didn't have," she said slowly.

Again, it took me a few more seconds. "Chocolate?" I teased.

Liv breathed a laugh. "Yes, chocolate. He did come home though, to check on me when I wouldn't answer my phone. It was actually terrifying."

"What'd your mom say?"

"She told me I should've called her," Liv said. "But then I remembered I wasn't having problems, I just skipped school to spend time with you."

I reached for her hand and started pulling her closer. "I'm becoming a bad influence again," I teased.

Liv moved forward and straddled my lap. "You think so?"

I settled my hands around her hips and I had to remember that it was real this time. Liv was here and not in my dreams. She wanted me, out of all people, she wanted me. "Maybe," I replied. "What are you gonna do about it?"

"Nothing," she whispered.

Without a thought, I lifted my hands to her face. "You scared the shit out of me," I told her. "I thought there was something wrong."

She laughed and bent her head closer to my own. "I live for my own dramatics."

"I can tell," I whispered teasingly.

Our lips came together and I felt her smile before she started kissing me back. Her hair fell around her face and it tickled the sides of my neck. She braced her hands gently against the sides of my jaw. The desire for Liv made my bones ache with something that drove me crazy. The good kind of crazy.