Chapter 5

Two periods of 'annoy the shit out of Javièra' later and its finally time for lunch. Dylan picks everything out for me. The board behind the cafeteria reads sloppy joe, cole slaw, potato salad, and french fries, but nothing looks edible. I groan, grabbing a bottle of water and following Dylan to his table which is smack in the middle of the cafeteria. I note immediately that he's part of the more popular crowd, seeing most of the jocks and cheerleaders at his table.

"Why can't we just go out for lunch?" I ask, picking at the fries. Dylan shoves half the sloppy joe into his mouth and chews quickly.

"I reiterate, do you have a car?"

"Hollywood doesn't have a car?" Alex asks in disbelief. I guess the nickname's sticking.

"My car is currently residing in the Maternity section at Park Plaza." I retort staring at the unappealing food.

"Whoa, remind me to never cross you." Eli sits down across from Dylan, greeting everyone except for me.

How mature.

"Hey, Eli, have you met Hollywood?" He doesn't even bother looking at me, just nods and continues eating his lunch. Everyone gives me a weird look and I just shrug and continue sipping my water like it's the best thing in the world even though it tastes like my Dad rose from the dead and dipped his foot in it.

"Well, um, there's a football game tonight. First game of the season. You should come."

"She can't." Dylan and Eli say at the same time. All the boys stare at them in confusion.

"Thanks to someone," I glare at Eli, "I'm on lockdown till college."

"Sucks to be you." Jared says. Ashlyn takes a seat between Eli and Jared and turns to Jared. The two then proceed to eating each others faces, to mine and everyone elses to disgust. Eli clears his throat. Jared pulls away and smacks Ashlyn across the cheek; she smiles up at him.

"JJ!" She chirps upon noticing my presence. I give her a small, embarassed smile. "You finding everything okay?"

"Yeah, thanks for asking."

"No problem!" She turns back to the guys, "I am totes excited for the game tonight. You guys are going to destroy North Heights." Max snorts.

"Kind of like they've destroyed us every other year." Ashlyn gives him a reprimanding glare before turning back to me.

"You'll be there, right? Maybe we can hang out after me and my girls perform our routine," her face lights up, "maybe you can perform with us. Brianna's leg is so broken, she can't perform with us. Please?" Being on the dance team was something I'd always thought about but never pursued. Nevertheless, Mom made it pretty clear my junior year would be eventless.

"No can do, Ashlyn." I refrain from calling her 'Ash' because that nickname was reserved for Ashley. "Being on lockdown means no parties, no football games, and no dance team."

"Please, Javiéra, can't your mom make an exception? It'll be just this one time." I bite my lip, already knowing I'd be fighting a losing battle. I groan.

"I'll see what I can do." She claps her hands excitedly, pulling me up.

"You're a little taller than Brianna so the skirt will be a little short but I'm positive none of the boys will mind. Come on, I can get you fitted into your uniform and show you the routine before tonight." She sees my expression and adds, "you know, just in case." Dylan gets up and I turn to him.

"Oh, that's okay, enjoy your lunch. You don't have to follow me." He snorts.

"Actually, that's exactly what I have to do. Your mom made it pretty clear I'm not supposed to let you out of my sight."