Chapter 26

Stella wasn't kidding when she said she'd take care of me. She came in my room at the top every hour to check on me but because no one else did, I didn't mind. Mom came in to talk to me about Deuce and gave me some medicine and told me to sleep.

When I wake up the next morning, I don't feel particularly terrible, but it's finals week and I am in no condition to be testing. After I explain this to Mom, she calls the school and tells me I can stay home. I drag myself into the shower, brush my teeth, wash my face and climb back into bed. I had almost dozed off when my door opens.

"I told you, Stells, you don't have to-" I look up and find Ashley standing there looking embarassed. "Hi, Ash. What're you doing here?"

"I, um, wanted to check on you. How are you?"

"I'm fine." I reply. "How are you?"

"Good, recently. Max is a really sweet guy. He was really worried about you that night, we both were." I sigh.

"I don't know what happened. I hadn't cried in so long, I guess it just all came out."

"But I haven't seen you that upset in a while. What were you so upset about?"

"It doesn't matter anymore." And it didn't. If I laid in this bed for the rest of the week, I'd never see Eli again. He didn't seem to have a problem with it, so why should I? I'd had my heartbreak.

"My mom's been wondering why I've been missing so much school. So Max is going to drive me home. I wanted to say goodbye."

"Are you taking Deuce?" She shakes her head.

"Your mom insists he stay a little longer. What happened to him was terrible. Did you know he's in a gang?"

"I found out a little while ago."

"I just can't believe he hid that from us. But back to you JJ. If someone can make you as happy as you were before your Dad died, I'm betting that same person can make you just as sad as you were after. Don't give up on Eli, JJ. He's good for you." I don't say anything, just stare at the paint on my walls. I could never fully give up on Eli. No matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't find it in my heart to leave people behind. "I'll be back in a few days. Max's family invited me to stay for winter break." Max shouts her name and she smiles. "Well, that's my cue. Bye JJ." I give her a small smile.

"I really am happy for you Ash." She smiles back before leaving.

*****

"Wakey, wakey, eggs and bakey." A voice I can't quite place says. I don't bother looking up figuring if Mom allowed him in my room, I must know him.

"I don't want to talk to you unless you brought either one of those things." He chuckles.

"Well, no but I brought something even better." I roll over and find the voice does indeed belong to Jacob. He holds a sparkly pink cupcake out towards me.

"Thanks." I say, happily licking the frosting. "What time is it?"

"4 in the afternoon. I dropped by earlier but you were sleeping. Then I came back again, but you were still sleeping. Also, this blonde dude came over dressed in a full on space suit. He told me to tell you get well soon. Apparently he has a weak immune system so he can't be around sick people." He shrugs, seating himself in my desk chair. I frown.

"What are you doing here?"

"Jeez, JJ, I thought we were friends." He says, spinning around. I snort.

"I'd hardly call someone I sit next to on a plane my friend."

"Hey, that someone has also given you two free rides." I laugh, actually grateful for his company.