27. No More Sorrow

"Jordan!" I run after him, but an arm pulls me back to other side of the corner. "Jordan!" I let myself fall on the hot ground.

"Ariel!" Logan's voice whispers. He crouches down to my level.

"He-he killed Jordan..."

Logan stares into my watery eyes. I could see the sympathy, the worry.

"Save Sam, save your sister. Go!" I push him away trying to be strong, wiping away my tears.

"Look at you. How can you like a scum like him. He tortured you!" Philip points the gun at her head.

"You put me in here! You have given me a slow death!" Sam clenches onto Jordan's hand, he's warmth was fading slowly.

"You did this to yourself!" He loads the gun, debating whether he should end her misery or let her rot her life away on her own.

"Philip, drop your weapon!" Logan's tone was fierce. He was angry, angrier than ever before. He had the eyes of a killer, but the eyes of a pained man, of betrayal.

"It took you a while." Philip chuckles taking aim on Logan's sister.

"All this time..." Logan heavily breathes. "You lied to me. Pretended to help me on my sister's case when you were the one that made her disappear!" His hands shook from the anger engraved in his soul. His best friend had betrayed him, had seen him suffer the loss of his beautiful sister.

"You don't know how good it feels to finally say this, to finally say this secret embedded in my thoughts!" Philip places Sam's head onto his shoulder.

Sam's shrieking cries makes her brother's stomach twist. How didn't he notice sooner? Why has he been such a idiot?

"Let her go." Logan exhales keeping the gun pointed firmly at Philip.

"You'll have to live with this for the rest of your life. It'll haunt you, like my secret has haunted me." Philip kisses the side of Sam's head.

"Philip!" Logan screams.

"Shoot him!" I cry out.

Two gun shots echo through the hallway. I could feel my ears ringing as Logan runs towards them. "Sammy!" He cries out.

I run after him as we stood in front of the two bodies. Philip had blown his brains out along with Sam's. The bullet had gone through both of their heads.

"Sammy!" Logan drops to his knees, lifting up Sam's lifeless body. He places her upper body against his chest. "Sammy." He whispers as he cradles her into his arms. "No!"

The bullet had remained at the other end of her skull. I stared at Philip's lifeless body, he had another gunshot wound to his heart. Then, I stared at my brother's.

"We have to go Logan." My voice lowers whiny and soft. "They're coming."

I could hear his cries against Sam's body. His hands became bloody fairly quick. "Logan..."

He grabs the journal with his bloody hands and grips it against his torso. "I love you Sammy." He places a kiss on her forehead. Logan carefully places his sister on the ground. He shuts her widening eyes as far as he can.

We make our way through the hallways and into the boiler room.

TWO WEEKS LATER

After sentencing my father to life in prison along with his accomplices, including half of the police officers covering up his tracks. Logan was promoted to chairman.

"This is where we part ways Ms. Reed." Logan could feel the knot in his throat saying those words. He didn't want to leave her side, but their traumatic experience was all he could think about.

"Thank you, Mr. Gordon." I gulp. I guess there wasn't a happy ending with Logan in the picture. I wanted to claw his arms and throw a tantrum on why we couldn't be together. But the only thing I could do was hug him.

My arms wrap around his neck as my head rests on his shoulder. He gently rubs my back, hugging me tightly in the process. I could feel him exhale painfully. We both knew we needed some time to mend.

Our hug seemed endless, but it had to come to an end. Logan pushes me gently and clears his throat. "I bid you a better life, Ms. Reed."

"I bid you the same." We nod and turn against each other. I walk out of the police station knowing very well I wouldn't see Logan again. This walk was the longest walk I had ever experienced. My heels clacked against the shimmering floor. The door looked pretty far, but I ended up outside.

I felt a pain in my chest. My heartbeat pounding. I was feeling empty without him, without Logan. I could only think back to what Sam said about us. She wanted us to be together. I guess she wouldn't get her dying wish.

Days passed. Weeks passed. Months passed. The calendar's pages kept turning. I found a job at a day care taking care of children.

"Bye Ms. Reed!" The boy with olive toned skin waved at her as he ran to get his back pack.

My eyes followed the new lad as he swung his back pack around his back. "My dad is here!" He exclaims, running towards a tall figure. My eyes follow the man's shoes as I get up from the carpeted floor. He wore black pants and a tuxedo shirt.

My eyes wander to his face. We make eye contact making my face go pale. "L-Logan?"