A Crystal Night by sloanranger

The last of the sun's rays lingered briefly on the crystal box that David had given her when they became engaged. It was the most valuable thing they owned – real Austrian crystal.

The young woman with black almond eyes sat on the sofa with her hands folded tightly together; she pressed them into her mouth and chin, her elbows resting on her knees. It was cold already in the early November air and her mother-in-law would come in soon and start the fire.

As the light disappeared completely, she stayed in the dark, making no move to turn on the lamp beside her. She couldn't explain why she was so scared. This was a safe country she told herself, unlike the conflict in her home of India, where political upheaval seemed constant as she grew up. She'd thought they would be so happy when David brought her here after their honeymoon. The past couple of years had brought changes, though.

David's parents loved her, had made her very welcome – his mother made special dishes for her, his Papa called her liebchen. But now, things were moving rapidly and not for the better. David had lost his job as under-assistant to the Ambassador in Vienna and the authorities were closing Herr Greenblatt's bank, taking away the bank's charter.

Father and son tonight were attending a political meeting in their town of Goslar.

Frau Greenblatt, Mama – she'd asked the girl to call her - entered the room.

"Mein liebchen, why are you sitting in the dark?" Shewalked over and turned on the lamp when suddenly something crashed through thewindow shattering glass all over the room. Then another missile shattered the window by the door, and both women screamed as hands reached inside and broke the door open.

Juden mull, "Jewish trash," two of the four men yelled as they rushed in; dragging the girl from the sofa.

Warten! Was machst du? "Wait! What are you doing?" Frau Greenblatt said, pulling at the arm of one of the men assaulting her daughter-in-law.

The girl continued screaming as they dragged her from the house," "Mama, Mama."

Bitte, sie hat nichts falsch gemacht, "Please, she's done nothing wrong," Frau Greenblatt protested, sobbing herself, now. Two more of the men grabbed the woman, as she continued to plead: Bitte, bitte.

Ein andere juden hure, "Another Jewish whore," one of them said.

Und nicht alt oll. "And not so old," the other laughed as they dragged her into the night, as well.

They had overlooked the crystal box. It lay on the floor, unbroken - shimmering in the light from the overturned lamp.