Mission Atlantis

Kristen's Pov

I sat on the roof of the apartment, with my legs hanging over the edge and the July sun warming my face. The sun was setting, something I haven't witnessed for a while. I smiled with my eyes closed, leaning back on my forearms.

It's been just over two months since we took in Rita and Mat. To say the least, they were powerful..and maybe, just maybe they were good kids too.

I don't know. It's been hard trying to catch up with Kaldur's absence for the past two weeks. He said that him leaving for Atlantis was just a small leave of absence, that he would be back as soon as possible. But I couldn't ignore the nagging in the back of my head telling me he was going in the wrong direction.

Don't get me wrong, Manta was a part of the Light, no doubt. But Kal said the Light was still somewhat broken up, and I think Manta isn't fully on board with things. I just don't think he's going after his father for the reasons everyone thinks.

"I knew I would find you up here,"  My smile grew into a grin as I opened my eyes to find Dick standing over me.

"And what brings you to my humble abode," I said, staring into his eyes. I knew I shouldn't have been, but he wasn't exactly paying attention to me.

"This is a great view," He whispered. I watched him kneel down and take a seat next to me. "I've never seen it like this."

"It's a Gotham even a Gothamite has only dreamed off," I said, watching the last of the sun rays fade below the horizon. "And then it's gone."

"So are you coming down tonight?" He was talking about the Hall. I've spent a lot of my time at STAR Labs with the twins, and I was kind of reluctant to see how the Team is handling their missing leader for the second time.

"I don't really have a choice do I," I replied. The two of us stood.

"Well, Bruce needs us there," He said following me down the ladder and onto my fire escape. "That's kind of why I'm here."

"Okay," I said hesitantly. Something was definitely wrong. I slipped through my open window, heading for my closet. "I'll get dressed."

"Kris," Dick called out. He was sitting on my window sill, his hands in his lap. I stopped to look back at him with my suit in my hands. "It's Kaldur."

From there I remember a flurry of movement, as I rushed to get to the Hall. I don't think I should've been worrying as much as I was but this was the first time a member of the Team has been in any sort of trouble since I got here.

I just hoped I was wrong.

"Are you sure nothing bad happened?" I was starting to yell, and Dick's silent responses weren't helping. "What could possibly be wrong now?"

"I don't know," He stated again. I stepped into the phone booth, ignoring his next sentence.

The Hall was empty, so I started for the mission room. My hopes raised just a bit. Maybe the meeting wasn't that important. "Kristen!"

Dick pulled me back roughly, shocking me a little. His hands gripped my arms, stopping me a few inches from his face.

"We really need you to keep your head in the game," I nodded, gulping. "I'm sure he's fine."

"Yeah, yeah, I know," He cleared his throat, dropping his hands, and bringing one to the back of his neck. Suddenly, I was really conscious of everything around me including myself. "Oh, we should get to the mission room."

We were probably really late already, but when I stepped into the room only a handful of the Team was there. Lagon hadn't bothered to show up, Conner and M'gann were elsewhere, and  Malcolm and Karen went home for the night. As to why only Gar, Cassie, Tim, Bart, Artemis and the twins were here, I had no idea.