A Little Family History

Kristen's Pov

Dick Grayson had just tried to kiss me. And I would've kissed him back.

I shook my head, Focus Kristen. You have a job to do. But there was no way anyone expected me to focus.

"Okay, listen up. Black Manta has to be here for something. He's most likely dropping off the equipment Mercy was talking about," Dick said, looking around at the group in front of us.

"Blue Beetle, Wonder Girl, and Super Boy. You're Alpha. We're taking on Manta and his team," Kaldur ordered. Dick was close enough for me to feel his body tense up. "Scarlet, Nightwing, you two are going to retrieve any data from the League database, and the zeta programs. Dismissed."

We all took our seats on the bridge. The bio-ship would be able to get us there before six o'clock. Dick was at the helm, and Kaldur stood next to them. I tried my best to keep my head down since I was right in front of them. But I couldn't help overhearing their conversation.

"Are you sure you want to lead Alpha?" Dick's whispers were laced with concern.

"I have some unfinished family matters to discuss with my father," Kaldur paused before deciding to stop.

"I know, but I don't want you going in without thinking first. Something bad could happen."

"Believe me, my friend, I have every intention of stopping him." 

I don't believe that was the answer that Dick was looking for, but he took it anyway.

I know that Black Manta was part of the original Light, and I did know Kaldur was the one to spy on Manta himself. I could only imagine what a burden that had been for him, knowing your father was fighting to kill you.

"Drop zone A in two minutes," Dick's voice echoed through the empty cabin. The sun outside was already setting, and shadows were draping around the property of STAR Labs.  The bio-ship was in camouflage mode, but my heart was still pounding.

I've never gone up against big Light members before. Yet I was still here, with my leader rushing in head first. He looked very collected, and was sure acting calm, but I could see it in his eyes, and hear it in his voice. He was angry and definitely ready for vengeance.

Soon the cabin was empty. But the tension wasn't much better. Dick wasn't saying a word, and honestly, I wasn't planning on saying anything.

"I'm setting her down here. It should be easy getting in," Dick and I made our way towards the back entrance.

The door was guarded by one guy. His helmet covered his face completely. His suit covered his body in black leather-like material, probably light for swimming. The weapon was huge, though. Before I could actually say anything, Dick had already made his move.

He knelt at the door, picking the lock. "Okay, I guess there's no need to discuss plans or anything of the sort. Because that's a great idea."

There was no reply at first as I followed him down the hallway. "I've been here before, and Batman's made me memorize the schematics," His whispers echoed slightly throughout the hallway.

"The League has a lot of influence in here," He peeks around the corner before he lets me look. "Our testing center should be down this hall."

I wanted to ask him about earlier, but maybe this wasn't the best time. He seemed to know what has gotten Kaldur so worked up. And it also seemed to be getting him worked up too.

When we reached the end of the hall, Dick's forearm pushed me against the wall, as he checked for guards. He turned to face me, and whispered, "Stay here."