Nice Surprises

Kristen's Pov

The group of us finally made it through the Zeta tubes. I had expected for Batman to be waiting for us in the main hall, but nobody was there. So instead we decided to head down to the mission room.

"I'm sorry for being gone for so long," Dick's arm was firmly wrapped around my waist. "I should have been more careful."

He shook his head. "It wasn't your fault and it wasn't Tim's or Cassie's fault either."

I smiled and look down. " As long as you're not mad at me."

I was going to continue walking towards the mission room, but Dick stopped me in my tracks. He spun me around and I found my face two inches from his. With one hand he lifted my face to look him in the eye.

"I could never be mad at you," He whispered.

Unintentionally, I glanced at his lips, my heart fluttering. In the background, the voices of the crowd we had been following was getting quieter, as they entered another room. I knew we should be going in there, but I was tempted to just stay out here with him.

Locking my eyes on his, I gestured with my head to the mission room. A playful smirk showed on my lips as he groaned and continued walking with his arm around my shoulders now. It made me feel warm. And don't tell Artemis I said this, but safe too.

As quietly as possible we entered the room and blended into the back of the group. Looking around now, I noticed that the entire Team was here, even with Bumblebee's busy schedule, she managed to show up. In the corner, I could see the twins standing, heads huddled together. Normally they would spend the day with a Leaguer. 

Whatever was about to happen, it was going to be huge.

I gripped Dick's hand over my shoulder, as Bruce nodded in my direction. Only a few people glanced back at me, a few with huge grins and others waving. "Thank you all for making it here in good timing. And now, Canary, if you would please."

I've never seen Bruce look so uncomfortable before. He normally holds his ground for the entire briefing, but just now he switched feet. And when he nodded at me, he didn't really acknowledge Dick. Which was even more weird.

"So I know that you all have been through a difficult two years," I just saw her, and she too was refusing to look anyone in the eyes. League members were good at hiding things, they were never this bad. "But-"

"No need to introduce me, Canary," Gasps filled the room. The voice was coming from somewhere, but it didn't register in my mind. "The wheelchair should do enough."

I almost cried out from sudden squeeze I felt pressuring my shoulder. I looked up at him, seeing his jaw clenched. I reached up to place my hand on his chest. What was happening?

The tension was killing me; I was confused to the point of blurting out my questions. The issue with that would be the fact that I would sound like a complete idiot.

"Hi, everyone."

As if it was rehearsed, everyone turned to identify the voice. Just stopping to sit in front of us, was a redhead in a wheelchair, just as she said. The room was so quiet, you could hear a pin drop.

Without any warning, Dick's arm fell from my shoulders, leaving something cold in its spot. He took two steps forward and stopped. I couldn't see his face, or help him. I reached out to say something, but a raised hand from Bruce stopped me. He had made his way over to this side of the room.

"Barbra?" Dick's questioning voice came out in a barely audible whisper.

Oh, dear God. This was her, and she was gorgeous.