Home Again

Kristen's Pov

"Kristen? Wake up," The rough voice seemed to be coming from nowhere. Everything I saw was in darkness. My mind must have been conscious. Slowly light started to pour in and the shadows faded out.

I was lying on a bed, the room around me was white. White walls, white equipment, white bedsheets, white uniforms. My eyes could barely adjust, making spots dance in front of me. Two guards stood by the door. On their chests was a blue embellishment. STAR Labs. 

"Kristen?"

I returned my attention to the speaker. Black Canary was standing next to a nurse who was currently running around like a mad woman. A heart monitor was at my bedside, and I could finally feel the soreness from the IV.

"Kristen, you need to tell me what you remember from before you got here," Canary was holding a clipboard and pen. Her golden like hair cascading over her shoulders.

"I, I was..I was being held in custody. They kept me in this cell, no contact with anyone," The memories from my capture was slowly coming back to me in pieces. "I remember Manta having one of his men inject a serum into my blood stream. Only it wasn't one of his men, it had to be something else. It felt extraterrestrial. The serum, it was glowing and purple. He said I was one of their patients. And there's another phase. A plan.

I watched carefully as she took notes of my drawl. I felt so weak, why? Why did it hurt to move even just a small muscle from my body? "Canary? How long have I been out?"

She only smiled at me. "You're going to have your evaluation done in a few minutes. Just as soon as you eat, we can start on the physical recovery."

That hadn't answered my question. She flipped a piece of paper over the side of the clipboard for a split second, which was a huge mistake. It was a chart, much like a mission report. There were notes scribbled half way down the page. I'm pretty sure those were not from just today.

"How long have I been out?" I repeated my question, with more authority, if I had any.

"You've been gone for more than a month. It's the middle of July," I inhaled sharply at the new information. July? What happened to May? "When Lagon found you, you passed out right in front of him. Our guess was, you were malnourished. You overworked your system and it failed. You've been asleep here for about two days."

I've been gone for weeks? What did he plan on doing to me? What was the goal of capturing me? "I need to see Kaldur, Dick, anyone. I just want to know they're okay."

I began to sit up, and pull at my IV. Terrible decision on my part, oh, well. When I tried to swing my legs over the edge of the bed, I almost blacked out again. Canary was right at my side, ushering me back onto the bed. "You need to stay here, okay? You are definitely not ready to be back on your feet."

"But-"

"But nothing. Everyone is fine, a little worried about you, but fine," I sighed and lay back. "Everyone is okay, and you're going to be fine."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My stay at STAR Labs went a little like this. Test after test after test. It was mostly physical tests, to make sure no tampering was done to my body. Normally I would protest and tell them nothing happened, but something in the back of my head told me not to. So I told them everything I could, including my little run in with Manta. That was particularly difficult.

After the nurse had finished taking the last draw of blood from my arm, Zatanna opened the door. We had already done physical therapy. I had tried my best to stay in shape while on that cursed ship, but I was not up to par. Let me tell you, regaining the muscle I had before is a feat I'm pretty sure I won't be able to conquer.