Chapter 4

The drive was long and tiring, but when we finally pulled into the long drive in front of the huge house at the Cross Creek Equestrian Academy, I knew it was all worth it.

As we pulled into the circle drive and put the truck in park, I walked up to the front of the house, which according to the email I was sent with instructions on how to sign in was marked at the "Big House," and knocked on the door. I heard footsteps behind it before it was swung open by none other than Ellena Rosen. I stood there, wide eyed, in complete shock. "Ahh, Miss Blaire Grant! We've been expecting you! How was the drive?"

I quickly recovered to answer the question,"It was just fine. Very long," I said with a smile.

"Oh good, let's get you settled in, shall we?"

I smiled in response and looked at my papers that I had on my room, roommate, where Taboo's stall would be, which barn she would be in, and which tack room I would have.

"Let's take a look at those," Mrs. Rosen says, taking my papers out of my hand," Hmm, looks like you'll be in house number 5, room E5, with Ann Fortsel to your right in room E4 and Mary Luann in E6.. Your horse, what's it's name again?"

"It's a Taboo, or Taboo for short, Mrs. Rosen."

"Oh yes, Taboo will have a stall in barn 3 in stall 7 in row C. There will be a nameplate on the stall door, as well as a hook on the outside of the stall to hang your halter and lead, however many you may have. There is also a hay sack and salt block in the stall. Bedding will be changed every day and stalls will be mucked by volunteer students and stable hands. Horses will also be fed every morning and evening and will get fresh water twice daily. If your horse has any allergies or diets, please post it on the white board outside your stall. You will have tack room E5, just like your room number. You can put all your saddles, bridles, bits, saddle pads, ribbons, grooming kits, and everything else in that room. It's is your's and your's only. You will need to make up a password to put on the lock so nobody can get in if you don't want them there. And..." she takes a flip through all the other pages,"That should be it! I'll have Dillian, my nephew, come help you find your house." She cupped her hands over her mouth and screeched,"DILLIAN!!"

A tall boy who looked no older than 19 came over. He had brown hair and was wearing jeans and a solid black t shirt. "Yes?" he said in a slightly annoyed tone.

"Can you help auntie out and show Miss Blaire and her mother to house 5 room E11?"

He nodded and looked over. His eyes lingered on me for a second before he hopped into a golf cart,"You can follow me in the truck if you want. I assume that's where all your stuff is?"

"Yeah, okay."

We got in the truck and followed him to what I assumed was house 5.

It was huge. It was 100% brick and had white columns in the front with some rocking chairs and a swing glider on the porch. I haul bags over my shoulder, and grabbed some boxes. Mom did the same. We managed to make grab all my stuff, I didn't have much, and Dillion opened the door for us. "I'll take your horse to the stable. I can find its stall. What's its name?"

"It's a Taboo, or just Taboo."

"I like it," he said, smiling before going to get Taboo out of the trailer.

I could see all the barns from the porch. It looked like there were 10 in all. I wondered how many were full. I walked into house 5, apparently called "West Oak" according to the sign on the door.

It was gorgeous. With a deer antler chandelier and hard wood floors. There were cow skin rugs by what looked like a living room, with a TV and leather chairs and couches facing it. It had an open layout and a grand staircase that lead up to what I assumed were the rooms. The kitchen had a stainless steel refrigerator, stainless steel sink, two ovens and an electric stove top. The countertops were all granite and there was a granite island in the middle. We climbed up the stairs and there was a game room to your right and rooms to your left. The rooms were all numbered from E1 to E10, so I figured that 10 girls were all here in this house.

I found room E5 and unlocked the door, revealing a gorgeous wooden floored room with yet another cow skin rug in the center. A dresser and vanity off to the right side with a walk in closet and bathroom next to them. The bed was a full size on the left. I took my comforters out of the box while Mom hung up and put away my clothes. My grey chevron blankets fit in perfectly with the cream colored walls. I took out the string of pictures that I wanted to hang over my bed and studied them. The first one depicted when I got Taboo. Our first win together. My best friend, Gracie and her dapple grey Quarter Horse, Lavish Love, or Lacie, and Taboo and I all jumping tackless together. Gracie and I on a trail ride. Me and Dad. Dad and I riding his old Thoroughbred Gelding, Ozark. My first puppy, an Australian Shepherd named Royal. My first day of school. And so many more memories all hung on one piece of twine.
I hung it up and continued to unpack. I would be making new memories here.