Chapter 11

*Months later*

It was a cold December evening, and I was enjoying a class of hot chocolate with Jayce at the cafe. We were talking about the upcoming Winter Wonderland indoor Dressage competition that would determine if our school team would go on to Nationals or not. It was in three days, so everyone on the Intermediate and Advanced teams were drilling their patterns over and over and over. We needed two more points to qualify. If at least two of the five riders win this, we have the points we need to make it.

Practices have been intense and it's been hard to balance my relationship with Jayce and my riding. Lately, I've kind of been neglecting our relationship, so I made time for a little cup of hot chocolate with him before lights out.

"So, are you prepared for Nationals?" he asked me.

"Well, I'm training like I'm already there, but we still don't know if we are going to qualify."

"I know you will. You have a team full of amazing riders. You guys will ace this competition." he assures me.

"Knock on wood," I say, hitting the solid oak table with my knuckles.

We sat in silence for another 10 minutes before I broke the quiet,"I better get going. I have to get up early so I can ride in the morning."

Jayce sighed. "Okay, see ya later, babe."

I gave him a quick kiss on the cheek before I walked back to my room.

It was all the same as the day I moved in, except that now, it was a little messier. Horse accessories that I brought up for cleaning randomly scattered across the floor, dirty paddock boots shoved in a corner, and practice clothes littered on the floor. What can I say? I've been busy.

I knew I would have to get up early to make sure I could do a quick run through before all the arenas were taken up by other riders. Yes, we share, but the arenas get too crowded too fast when you have the teams, who are trying to practice for shows, and other students all milling about.

As I showed and got into my pajamas, it took all my concentration to stay awake. Once I hit the mattress and sent a good night text to Jayce, I was out like a light.