Chapter 7

I woke up the next morning and immediately jumped out of bed. Today is the day. I tell myself. Today is the day I make or break my riding experience here. Butterflies erupt in my stomach as I get ready, and make it near impossible to focus on my school work throughout the day.

All through classes, all I can think about is tryouts. What if I mess up? What if I do the wrong pattern? What if I knock a bar? What is Taboo falls or trips? What if we get hurt?

I push the negative thoughts aside as the final dismissal bell rings, signaling the end of the school day, I am the first one to spring from my chair and sprint out of the classroom and down the halls. I make it to the barn and before anyone else shows up, I'm already in Taboo's stall with my braiding bands out. "Let's get down to business," I whisper in her ear. She whinnies in response.

After I finish getting her tacked up, I move to braiding. I've done it so much through the course of my life that it comes naturally now. I had decided on a running braid last night, and quickly follow through with my plan.

When I'm done in the grooming area, I take Taboo to the mounting block in the middle of the warm-up ring. I'm the first one to show up, so I take my time going from a walk to a canter and going over a few jumps. I know that the courses are going to be difficult, but I have to make the most of it. I have to show what we're made of.

When everyone is present, the same man that I saw timing me yesterday asks us to come to the middle, and we all oblige quickly. Once we have all gathered, he introduces himself, "Hello, everyone. I am Charles Ross. You can call me Mr. Ross or Coach Ross."

There is a mixture of "Hello, Coach Ross," and "Hello, Mr. Ross."

"Today, is the day for tryouts here at Cross Creek Equestrian Academy. If you make the team, and that is an if, we will work hard every spare second of our days to be the very best team of young athletes not only in the country, but in the world. We will work hard, train hard, and show harder. This is it, ladies and gentlemen. Now let's get started, shall we?"

We all nodded. This is it.