Chapter 5

After getting unpacked, Mom says that she needs to head back so she can be in for work on Monday I give her a big bear hug and tell her to write me. "I love you, momma."

"I love you my Blaire Bear."

I let her go and she sniffles a little before heading down the stairs. I follow her and wave at her until she drives away. I take a deep breath and decide to walk down to the barns.

I looked for Barn 3 and walked through. There were people tacking up in the grooming area, and people riding in the many indoor and outdoor arenas, some people braiding, and some just talking. Everything was a flourish of activity. I followed the directions to Taboo's stall, and walked in with her. "Hey girl, how's it going? Your stall is amazing..."

The stalls were all luxuriously big, with fresh bedding and two water buckets and food bucket. There was a small turnout for each horse to go in and out as they please. They would be turned out in the bigger pastures during the day and would come back in at night.

I clipped on Taboo's halter and lead rope, and walked out of the stall. I walked out to the grooming area and put her on the cross ties next to where I'd set my tack and grooming kit out. I used the curry comb, stiff brush, and soft brush to make her shine. I studied the horses in the arena. Nobody really bothered to braid their manes and tails, so I won't either. I tacked Taboo up, making sure to put on her polo wraps and bell boots, both black, and started searching for an open arena with jumps set up.

After much searching, I found a nice outdoor arena with a whole course set up. I walked it with Taboo before mounting and walking it again, this time on her. We circled and stopped at difficult or possibly scary jumps so we could both get a good idea of how to clear them.
When we were done walking, I trotted for a lap and then brought her into a canter and we started the course. We cleared the first regular jump, then headed towards the first oxer. We cleared it with no problem. I smiled and went to the spread. Easy. Now here was the difficulty.... The wall. We hadn't had a good history with them in the past, several accidents that led to some rest. I take a deep breath and ease Taboo towards the jump. I feel her take off under me and together, we fly over the jump. We completed the rest of the course with zero faults. I leaned down and wrapped my arms around Taboo's strong neck, giving her a hug and kissing her neck before I looked up and realized that someone had been watching us with a stopwatch in his hand.

He looked at Taboo before we halted in front of him. "Can I help you?" I asked.

"That was some impressive riding," he answers,"I'm Charles Ross, instructor of the advanced and potential varsity teams here. I have to tell you that I haven't seen riding like yours in a while. You're very talented. Are you going to try out for the teams on Monday?"

"T-thank you!" I responded, stunned by his complement, "I am definitely planning on trying out."

"Well, I'll see you there," he finished as he walked away.

I smiled and dismounted. Nothing could erase the smile on my face as I untacked Taboo, put her up, and walked back to the house.