Chapter 20

Why is sand not just called sea dirt? 🤔 Question of the day right there.... anyways! HAPPY VALENTINES DAY! As an extra special gift, I decided to post before the next goal was met because I am a fountain of ideas right now and need to get them out. Aaaand I want to redo/edit this whole book. Maybe. If I feel up to it sometime. Anyways. Hope you guys enjoy the next chapter XOXO - Affinity
-•-•
It took a total of five minutes to get to the trail. Dillian had brought along some snacks in a saddle bag so that we could stop and eat, because when is it not time for food?
We made our way under the stars in silence. Neither of us wanting to break the silence. The horses were easygoing and didn't spook at anything. Not the bag flying through the air. Not the crack of a twig as a deer sped across our path. Not even the rustle of leaves as a raccoon came out of its hiding place in search of its next meal.
We were about a quarter of a mile from the clearing where we had planned to rest when I broke the silence that has enveloped us. "Want to race?" I asked with a smile on my face. I knew these horses weren't the fastest and probably wouldn't get too far before they needed a breather, but a little race would be fun.
"Sure." That was a quick reply.
"Confident, are we?"
"Always," he responded with a little smirk.
"Ready,. Set. Go!"
We clucked the trusty horses onward, and they complied without protesting. By the time we reached the clearing, Dillian had pulled ahead by a nose, and had officially won our little race. We were out of breath. I took my feet out of the stirrups and patted the horse on the neck. They'll definitely be getting some treats when we get back.
"Alright, now what do I get to winning?" Dillian inquired.
"Umm bragging rights, I guess." I replied, unsure of what he wanted to hear.
"Oh, come on. There has to be more than that! I won a race against the top rider here!" He complained as if his rights to brag were not enough.
"Okay, fine. I'll have to think of something."
We sat in silence in the clearing. I occasionally caught Dillian staring at me, and I would just stare right back. Did I like him? Yes. As more than a friend? Maybe. I guess there's only one way to find out.

The ride back was just as quiet as the ride there. I gazed up at the stars, silently counting the tiny little specks of light whose existence stretched farther across time than my little spot of a life.

As we reentered the barn, I took my time dismounting and untacking, as did Dillian. When we were all done, and the horses were resting sleepily in their stalls, Dillian spoke out of the silence,"I guess we'll have to do this again sometime."
"I would agree," I turned to walk away before remembering a thought I had earlier. I walked up to Dillian, and molded my lips with his. They were a perfect fit. His were so smooth, and his hands reached into my hair, as he held my head close to his. It was only a moment before I broke away, but it felt like a lifetime. I could get used to that.
"There's your prize, crybaby."
And with that, I smiled to myself and returned to my room.
-•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_
How's that for a Valentine's Day Chapter?! My next goal will be.... 525 reads (fun little number there) and we're going to keep it at 70 votes/favorites/whatever they're called. Hope you all enjoyed the beginning of something (maybe?) between Dillan and Blaire! - XOXO - Affinity