6: Cooper and A Sisters Bond

Monica

It was already a Friday which meant time to finally rest up and take things easy. Brennan and I were waiting at the bus stop. Mom and Mrs. Donnelly both couldn't pick us up cause they said they had something to fix up.

The bus came and we all got on and I sat beside Brennan as usual. "Remember how Mister Jake tried to make us laugh today in math?" Brennan asked. "Yeah, but I still can't warm up to him." I replied. "Just 'cause he's not like your old teacher, doesn't mean he's a monster, Nic. Give him a chance. And hey, it's just the start of the year." He smiled. "Just one. If he blows it, then I'll be one of the kids who don't like him for the rest of their life." I replied.

Brennan had gotten used to calling me Nic for short recently. Not a lot of people called me that. Usually it was just my family, my other relatives and super close friends. But I wasn't complaining, I liked it when he called me that.

"Nic, you're too stressed out by school. You need something to make you chill." Brennan laughed. "Like what?" I laughed with my arms crossed. "I don't know. Maybe we could walk and have some ice cream. Or do some laps. Oh! Want me to buy you a dog?" Brennan teased. I lightly punched his arm. "Brennan, you know how much I want a dog! It's not nice to tease!" I pouted. "Santa doesn't like kids who pout." Brennan laughed. "It's October!" I laughed. "Hey Santa sees you when you're sleeping and knows when you're awake." He laughed. "I've been on the good list all my life, excuse you!" I laughed too.

Our whole bus ride home was just filled with nonsense and laughter just like it always was. It was something I enjoyed doing with him, and something others can't seem to do with me. Our walk to my place consisted of a discussion on which toppings are the best on pizza. Like I said, nonsense talks with Brennan...

"Mom we're home!" I called out when we got to my place. We stepped in as I closed the door.

Miranda and Ryan were standing side-by-side with mischievous smiles while blocking me from getting to the living room. "Hey guys excuse me!" I said. I looked at Brennan who stopped in his tracks and had his eyes wide open and his mouth hung loose. "What? You okay?" I asked. Brennan nodded his head and pointed straight. Miranda and Ryan stepped aside and I followed the direction he was pointing to and saw mommy and Mrs. Donnelly beside a box with a little Jack Russel Terrier in it.

I squeezed through and kneeled in front of the puppy. My eyes started to tear up. "You have been so stressed out in school lately so we thought that a little puppy would do the trick and calm you down." Mom smiled at me. "We always hear you guys talking about a dog." Mrs. Donnelly laughed. I started crying as I hugged my mom and Mrs. Donnelly. "Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!" I cried. I kneeled back in front of the little puppy while looked at me and tilted its head. I covered my mouth and cried.

"It's so cute!" I gasped as I cradled it in my arms. "Is it a boy or a girl?" Brennan asked as he wrapped his arm around my shoulder and petted the terrier. "It's a boy!" Mommy smiled. Ryan and Miranda knelt beside us. "Wanna name her, Rands?" I asked my sister. Her eyes lit up as she nodded. "Make it a cute and short one." I smiled. "I got one!" She exclaimed. "Already?" Ryan chuckled. "Mhm! Cooper!" Miranda cheered. "That's perfect!" I smiled.

I hugged Miranda as we both held onto our new little dog named Cooper. "Let's set him up! Where will he stay though?" Brennan asked. "I want him to stay with Monica." Miranda smiled up at me. "Really, Rands? Are you sure?" I asked. "Certain! You need and want him more than I do." She smiled. "You're the best sister ever!" I said as I hugged her.

"We only got to buy him some food, milk, chew toys and a blanket. We'll go puppy shopping after you kids settle down. Sound good?" Mommy asked and we all nodded in response.