20

there is a slight trigger warning for this chapter. you may opt to skip the part or this whole chapter in general.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

Brennan

That day was a Friday and I had water polo practice. I came into the pool and my team was huddled around and making much noise. "Hey! What's up?" I smiled as I greeted Simon.

"Dude! We got a new kid! His name is Ryder Winston. He's from Philadelphia and moved here early this school year. He's been looking for a team to play water polo for since he came. Dude he's one big achiever!" Simon said with much amusement in his voice. "Oh yeah? Like what?" I smiled. Simon told me Ryder's achievements and they're great. He's never been part of the ODP though. I met the guy a few minutes later. Tall, muscled, brown hair, blue eyes. Let's just say Ryder Winston was your typical high school jock from all those coming-of-age movies and apparently always gets the girl. He reeked of pride and a bad attitude. I tried to get to know more about the guy, but it only ruined my mood.

Coach called us for a few reminders and introduced us to Ryder. He was an attacker too, we played the same position. Simply being there at practice or being the new addition, he was going to make our team one player too many. Coach said we'll try out a scrimmage with him and see if he could be a sub or not.

"Brennan Donnelly." Ryder called after me. I turned to him. Fake smile, fake personality, fake attitude, fake person. Oh he was just exactly what I needed in my life. "Hey Ryder, what's up?" I faked. "I heard a lot about you. I can't wait to play." He lightly punched me on my forearm and ruffled my hair. The dude was huge and had a strong fist, he practically punched my arm! Had I not had such a good day that day, I could've punched him back worse. Not to mention, he ruffled my hair! I didn't give a shit how tall he was. We weren't close "buddies" for him to do that.

He was on my side for practice today but he stole all my shots, blocked my chances to shoot, kept hitting my head and pushing me, and the thing was, how was it that coach didn't seem to notice any of that?

My teammates were so amazed by him and he was right there abusing me to my death. After practice, we all walked to the shower. He stood beside me and subtly pushed me into the pool. "BASTARD!" I yelled after him. He simply laughed and so did my teammates. Okay, what? Did he brainwash them or something?

+++

Practice was shit for the past week and it was all because of Ryder. I was covered in bruises and blood clots everywhere. Each day got worse and each night I got more sleepless than the last.

Saturday, he went on with stealing my shots and pushing me. Monday, he pushed me into the pool thrice and made me look like a fool. Tuesday, he jokingly punched me but in reality he did it on purpose. Wednesday, he made me look like a loser while playing and covered me in more bruises. Thursday, coach benched me! Why? Because he said Ryder was much better than me and more dedicated. He said that the team would have more chances of winning with Ryder in. Me, one of their best players, benched because of the new asshole.

Then came Friday, and Monica decided to come. I told her not to because I was worried about Ryder meeting her and I didn't want her to see how much that guy made a fool of me in just one week. But noooo! Monica being Monica came into the pool a few minutes after training started. Coach let me play again but Ryder was just straight up beating me up in the pool. I could see Monica trying to talk some sense into my coach but he didn't listen.

The hours went by so slowly and every time I saw Monica, I could see the anger and worry in her eyes. Forget looking like a fool in front of my girlfriend, I was pained by the look on her face and in her eyes. Monica worrying about me is the least thing I'd ever want in my life. After practice ended, she rushed straight to me with a towel and dried me up. She practically smothered me when I came up to her.