25: The Donnelly's Get-Together

Monica

We went to the Donnellys for a Christmas get-together with a lot of other families and friends a few days after the break-up. It was a small area where we lived so there were a lot of family friends coming. I tried so hard to convince my parents that I wouldn't go since I didn't want anything to do with Brennan for a little while.

"The Donnellys are having a Christmas get-together and we're invited!" Mom told me and Miranda. "Yay!" My sister cheered. "Nooo!" I whined. "Monica, just because you and Brennan broke up does not mean that our families broke up too." Dad said. "I'm not going. I can stay here home alone or I can go over to Lily's place. Just not the Donnellys for now." I defended.

"Monica, you're coming with us. What are we supposed to say? 'Monica didn't want to come cause she and Brennan broke up'?" Mom raised. "Yeah." I sassily replied. "Monica Jordanne Campbell, you are going to this dinner with us whether you like it or not. You and Brennan are not required to talk to each other. There will be tons of other people to interact with. I will not allow you to ruin the Christmas spirit just because of one boy!" Dad said. He used my full name. He won. "Okay fine." I chuckled.

"That was easy." Dad laughed. "Can I pick out what you two are wearing?" Mom asked me and Miranda. We both nodded with a smile. Dad suddenly sighed. "I know this is hard for you, Monica. Especially when Brennan meant a lot to you. But I know you're going to make it through this." Dad told me. "Whether you just need some time apart or this is a permanent goodbye, Monica, always remember that we will always be here for you." Mom told me.

I took a deep sigh and smiled. "Thanks mom! Thanks dad!" I smiled. There was a split silence for a while. "Okay, now go pick out your outfits and then we'll go out for lunch and find some gifts for the Donnellys." Dad said. "I'm picking out Ryan and Katie's gift!" Miranda screamed. "Alright, love." Mom smiled at her then kissed her forehead.

"We'll find something nice for Miss Jill, Mr. Mike and Brennan too." Mom added. "Monica can pick Brennan's gift." Miranda teased. "Go dress up." Dad said and ruffled my sister's head.

Mom, Miranda and I headed up to our rooms. Mom helped Miranda pick out an outfit first. They were looking through her closet to see if they could find something nice while I sat on Miranda's bed.

"What if Brennan comes up and asks you for forgiveness?" Miranda asked. "Miranda." Mom warned. "No mom, it's fine. Well, I didn't really think that through." I answered. "Is it hard without him? I mean you guys were like inseparable." Miranda continued. "Miranda, that's enough." Mom raised. "Yeah, it is. It is hard." I blankly answered and then walked to my room.

After a few minutes of browsing for what to wear, mom came in and told me that I should wear my black long-sleeves top with a red plaid skirt. I decided to wear black boots along with it.

What would Brennan be wearing tonight? Would he get me anything? Will we even talk? Are things going to get awkward? It was during those kind of events and those days when Brennan would text and ask me what I'd wear, what time I'd swing by or simply say 'I love you' with a heart emoji.

"Hey, dry those eyes, honey." Mom cooed as she wiped a stray tear. "I miss him, mom." I said and hugged her. "I know you do, baby." She replied. She pulled away and stroked my hair. "Go look pretty and then let's head out." She smiled then caressed my cheek. I nodded with a smile as my response.

I got dressed and then went out the same time my sister did. Miranda was wearing a black dress with her Stan Smiths and a round bag. "Sorry for bombarding you." She sheepishly apologized. "It's fine." I replied and side hugged her.

We walked down and saw our parents who were already dressed for the night. Mom was wearing a red dress with her kitten heels, and dad was wearing a slacks and a blue button down. "Why do you always look like a princess?" I asked my mom as she smiled down at me. "She doesn't look like a princess. She's a queen. 'Cause you two are my princesses." Dad smiled as he kissed mine and Miranda's heads.