14: Sick Week

Monica

It has been weeks since I got out of the hospital and things were going well. Just kidding. I was dying of stress and pressure and crammed all my tests, projects, homeworks, everything! But I was catching up well and I finally got my boot off. Unfortunately, it was that time of the year when Miranda gets sick then I follow a few hours later. And unfortunately, it was the same time as my period.

I was on my bed playing with Cooper and Miranda was in her room probably reading. It was a Saturday, so mom and dad could take care of us. They just finished feeding us breakfast when I heard the front door open then close. If it was Brennan, then yay! If not, then I would've suggested the person to get out as quick as they could.

Simon

The doorbell rang then our front door opened. Brennan came through our door with a smile on his face. He didn't have anything with him so he was probably here to see the girls.

"Hey Mr. Simon! Hey Miss Eliza!" He said as he shut the door. Brennan got used to calling us Mr. Simon and Miss Eliza a few days before Monica got back to school. "Hi Brennan!" Eliza smiled. "They're sick." I said as we all heard my daughters enter a coughing fit. "Sorry son." I smiled sadly. "I'll be back." He said with a smile as he left our house. Eliza and I looked at each other curiously. "If he doesn't come back in thirty minutes with something for our girls, he's banned from this house." I told my wife, only half meaning what I said. "Simon, don't be to tough on the boy. I'm sure he'll be back." She laughed."He better be." I chuckled as I continued to finish up some papers and Eliza continued making Monica's tea. "Simon, it's not like he's a mini you. I bet he won't come back with a basket with all our girls like like you did for me and Karen when we were young." She laughed. "Who knows? He might be." I laughed and winked at my wife. "Simon!" She laughed.

When I was courting Eliza, I used to bring gifts for her and her sister. I was only kidding when I expected Brennan to do the same. Honestly, I like the kid. He respects me and Eliza, more so Monica. He's responsible and chivalrous, you can really see that he doesn't just my daughter for fun. I really trusted Brennan and Monica with their relationship. They're responsible kids and they already know how to take care of themselves. It makes me extremely proud.

Brennan

I came back to the Campbell residence with two bags, one for Monica and the other for Miranda. My girls were sick and I wanted to be there to cheer them up. I walked into their home after ringing the doorbell. Miss Eliza and Mr. Simon were still where I last saw them.

"I'm back!" I smiled and shut the door. "Hey! What ya got there son?" Uncle Simon smiled as he wrapped an arm around me. I already felt that 'You-Should-Have-Something-For-My-Daughters' vibe. Thankfully, I did. "Stuff for the girls. I'll just head upstairs." I replied. "Alright! And hey, stay for dinner okay?" He added. "Yes sir!" I smiled then went upstairs. That's a check and plus points from Mr. Simon! Yes!

As I was halfway up, Miss Eliza ran up after me. "Monica is on that time of the month, so you better watch out." She whispered to me. Well, my girlfriend was on her period. Shit. "Okay, Miss Eliza. I'll be careful." I laughed. Yeah, laugh all you want, Donnelly. You know you're screwed at this point.

I knocked on Miranda's door first. She was reading her copy of Diary of A Wimpy Kid when I came in. "Hey Rands! How you doing?" I asked her as I left the door open. "Brennan!" She smiled as she sat up and put down her book. "I got you some stuff." I smiled as I handed her her bag full of goodies. It was filled with her favorite chocolates and candies. Generally, food that makes her happy. "Sour Patch! Nice! Thanks Brennan!" She said and gave me a hug. "No problem, Rands. You feeling better?" I said as I hugged her back. She shook her head with a frown. "It sucks being sick. I'm usually sick for a week, and it's only day three." She said. "Aww man! Sorry Miranda. Get well soon, alright?" I smiled at her. "I will! Thanks so much, Brennan!" She smiled. "Anytime, Rands. I'll be with Monica." I said as I headed for the door. "Okay." She replied as I left her room and headed to her sister's