17: The Date

Brennan

It was a Saturday and as I told Monica last halloween, I'd take her out on a date since we've never been on one officially. Planning out a date was the hardest shit to do. It was harder than any math homework I've ever even had! So what did I do? I asked my whole family for help.

"Okay okay everyone shut up!" Katie yelled as we were all throwing our ideas left and right. We all shut up at her command. "Monica is grand and fancy yet simple and classy. That's her vibe. You, Brennan, are also simple and classy so we work with simple and classy." Katie started. "I like that. I like that." Mom smiled. "Nothing expensive, nothing too cheap. We stay in the middle." Dad said. "Right! So here I searched a few ideas that you could do with Monica." Katie said with her phone out. "Wait, we need to know the time first. What time are you going out and what time will you get back?" Ryan asked. "From 4 to 10." I answered. Monica and I decided on that last night. "Isn't that too late?" Mom asked. "No." We all replied. "Okay." She laughed.

"You guys can go watch a movie first. You guys can watch Doctor Strange. Monica is a Marvel fan so she'll love to see it with you." Katie suggested. She was right. Monica was a huge Marvel fan which was actually a plus factor. She knew a ton about the MCU. "Yeah! It's a great movie! You should go!" Ryan said with excitement. "The movie lasts for about an hour and fifty-five. The cinema downtown will be showing Doctor Strange at around 4:30 so that's right on time." Mom said. "You have thirty minutes to get your snacks and tickets." Ryan added.

"Great! We have two hours down!" Dad smiled. "Ice skating never gets old, so you guys can go skating for about two hours and a half. You'll be tired by then." Katie said. "That leaves you guys with about 8:30 to 10 pm." Dad said. "Right! You two can go have some dinner somewhere. Fancy or fast food, whichever suits your taste. Then you guys can take a walk around the nearby park for thirty minutes to talk and all." Katie smiled. "Leaving you with thirty minutes to bring her home." They all said. "And we expect you to be home at 10:05 PM." Mom said.

"Okay! Got it! Katie can you airdrop to me whatever note you did on your phone?" I chuckled. "Got it!" She smiled and airdropped the note. "Okay B-Man! Let's get you all dolled up!" Dad joked. "You know, I didn't expect us to create an extremely detailed plan for our first date." I chuckled before I went to my room to change.

You probably expected I was wearing something nice and not like my usual style. No. I wore my usual San Diego Chargers shirt with shorts and rubber shoes. Katie didn't want me to but I told her that Monica liked the simpler me and that it wasn't the right time to get all fancy yet. Before we picked Monica up at her place, dad gave me some extra money to pay for this and that. He strictly told me not to allow Monica to pay for anything. And surprisingly, before dad and I left the house, he gave me a black velvet box from his pocket.

"Remember when you told me you wanted to get Monica the B necklace?" He asked me. I nodded. Did he really reconsider? I had tried to persuade him to help me buy that necklace for the past three months! He always said no because he wanted a proper reason why he should buy it. Each reason I told him seemed like a no since he didn't respond to any. "Every day you gave me a reason to buy this necklace for you to give to her. I heard every one and each day you had a new one. But it all summed up to the fact that you do love her." Dad smiled and opened the box. And there it was. The gold necklace with the letter B dressed in studs. Dad closed the box and handed it to me. I put it in my pocket and gave him a hug. "Now let's go get her!" Dad smiled.

We picked her up at a little before 4 PM. I rang the doorbell and Miranda opened the door. "Hey Brennan!" Miranda smiled as she hugged me. "Hey there, little one!" I smiled and hugged her back. "Come on in. Monica will be down in a few." She said. We sat on the sofa with Mr. Simon. "Be home by 10, alright?" He reminded me. "Got it, Mr. S!" I smiled. "Mom, it's okay! Brennan wouldn't care if I had makeup on!" I heard Monica say as she made her way down. "They're arguing again!" Miranda laughed. "Probably over how Monica should wear make up." She chuckled. "Obviously." Mr. Simon chuckled. "Lip tint at the least, darling? Come on!" Miss Eliza begged. "Mom my lips are as plump and red as they are!" Monica sighed.