27: All Or Nothing

Monica

The Donnellys were leaving for Florida the day after Christmas to visit their grandparents. My cousins and my sister faced me with a tough decision that day. I had two options: go back to Maryland and talk to Brennan to work things out OR wait until after New Year to talk to him because they weren't coming back from Florida and then Disney until then.

It all started in the morning when Miranda brought up the Donnellys leaving. "Hey, the Donnellys are leaving today." She reminded me. "Where are they going?" Alice asked. "Florida, they're visiting their grandparents." I answered. "Yeah and they won't be back until after New Year." Miranda added. "No way!" Annelle gasped.

"Yeah, why?" I asked as I ate my pancakes. Pap was preparing breakfast for us that morning. Every morning after Christmas, we all woke up ahead of our parents which gave us more time together with pap. "Dude," Gabe said with a mouthful. "Are you two really going to let this last until next year?" He finished. "Umm... yeah?" I replied. "Monica!" My cousins all yelped. "What?!" I asked.

Obviously they found something wrong in my answer. Pap stepped in and that was where the situation actually started. "You can go after him you know?" He smiled. "Pap!" I yelped. That was definitely not what I needed from anyone, not even pap.

"Pap's right, Nic! You can still talk to him before he leaves!" Mollie agreed. "I can't just call or text him." I rebutted. "We mean actually talking to him." Ashton said. "He's leaving in a few hours. It'd be too late when we there." I said. "Not if you make a decision now!" Miranda said. "They're leaving in a few hours. Just enough time for us to get back." She added.

I didn't make a decision right away. It took me a while to decide. And by a while I mean it took my whole family to help me decide.

Our parents woke up and they were able to catch us discussing whether we should go back or not. Our voices were so loud and we were all throwing our opinions at each other. But okay, first of all, I didn't want to go back yet. We never left pap's place the next day after we got there. We usually stayed for a few days before going home.

Dad only made the decision harder when he said that we could go home and then go back to pap's. I genuinely thought it would be really costly in terms of gas.

Uncle Arthur said I should go back. He explained that leaving a problem unsolved for so long would only make the situation worse. Aunt Jessie told me not to go after him. She said that there really wasn't enough time. Aunt Karen agreed with Uncle Arthur. She thought that if I really liked Brennan and he's been trying to win me back then I should go back.

Aunt Karen's husband Uncle Garrett thought otherwise. He said that true love always knew how to wait. He told me that if we really did like each other, we would respect each other's family time and wait until we both got back home.

Obviously my cousins wanted me to go back. So did pap who actually brought up the idea. Mom and dad remained neutral on the problem because they knew that if they made a choice, I'd go for what they choose and I'd forego any past thoughts or ideas I had about my own decision. That wasn't false because I did that very, very often.

Then my cousins started to think it over too. Annelle, Alice and Ashton told me to stay and wait until after New Year. They decided that if Brennan still made an effort to win me back after New Year, then we knew he was worth taking back.

Gabe, Mollie and Miranda still stood by their decision for me to go after him. They said that I had to make an effort too. That I had to show Brennan that I missed and loved him just as much. What made them quite credible was that they weren't hopeless romantics unlike me, Annelle, Alice and Ashton.

"Come on, sweetheart. You have to make a decision." Mom said. A thick silence followed after. "Monica, follow your heart. Yes, we have our reasons on why we told you what we'd do if we were you, but in the end it's your life and it's your decision that would matter." Pap said.

The sound of the clock ticking never sounded so loud. I knew that the longer I took to make the decision, the lesser chances of making it back did I have.

My next move shocked me. I actually texted Brennan first.

Take care and have fun! I'll see you after New Year

Brennan didn't reply to my reply the night before, but he quickly replied to the one I sent that morning.

Brennan: Hope you had a good Christmas too!

Brennan: And don't worry, I will. Hope you're having fun there at your grandpa's too

His last reply gave me my final decision.

Brennan: I'll see you after New Year :)

I looked at my family as they awaited my decision. "I'll see him after New Year." I smiled with a shrug. Those who had hoped for me to go after him looked a bit disappointed. Those that thought otherwise sighed in relief. But pap was there with a smile telling me he was proud of my decision.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

i've already entered my senior year of high school so i'm really trying to finish this fic before i graduate. finishing this off before i graduate would really be a culmination to my high school life :((