My Little Girl

Lorelai watched Rory holding little Evie. A single tear slid down her face as she smiled. She remembered holding Rory for the first time, that sweet, innocent beautiful small human in her arms. It was hers, such a small perfect baby. Lorelai wanted Rory to know, her whole life, that she was safe if she was with her. Rory wanted the same for Evangeline. Lorelai got up and kissed her daughter on the forehead.

"You've done well, kid. You've done well." Lorelai held Rory close. Rory was grown up, married, with her own baby. No longer was she her little girl.

"Mom?" Rory asked.

"Yes sweets?"

"I've grown up to be you."

"Is that a bad thing?" Lorelai pondered a bit.

"It's the best thing in the world." Rory kissed her mom on the cheek. "Growing up is tough, but it makes it easier knowing I turned into the person I admire the most, my best friend."

Lorelai sniffed and held Rory close to her. "All these years, I was put on this earth to help you, teach you, and guide you through life, but turns out you've done all that for me. Rory, I don't know what I would do without you. You're growing up so fast, baby girl."

"Mom, we can't cry..." She laughed as lighthearted tears misted her eyes.

"Too late." Lorelai laughed and wiped away Rory's tears. "At least they're happy tears."

"Growing up sucks." Lorelai plopped down on the couch.

"Totally. But it has it's perks. Look at that little girl you have."

"Movie?" Lorelai pulled out a bunch of dvd's.

"Yes, much needed. I'll make the popcorn." Rory put Evie in her crib and grabbed the baby monitor. "Sleep for mommy...please."

Lorelai and Rory sat and watched, "Riding the Bus with my Sister". This was the movie they loved to watch together. The last time Lorelai ever watched it was when she and Rory were fighting, she wanted a better memory of the movie now.

Lorelai put her hand around Rory and stoked her hair. Rory cuddled close to her mom and drifted off to sleep.

She heard crying from the baby monitor. She let Rory sleep, and took care of Evie.

Lorelai picked her up and kissed her on the forehead. Evie's quiet cries faded. "You need to take care of your momma, she was my little girl."

"And she still is." Rory had woken up and went to check on Evie. "Mom, I'll always be your little girl."