2☕

❝Always help someone. You might be the only one that does.❞

She was in the middle of the fifteenth chapter when her twelve year old sister, Alice walked into Desiree’s bedroom to notify her that dinner was ready.  Desiree was much too engrossed to move away from her book so she stayed upstairs even though she knew that this worried her mother.  

Before she knew it, the cloudy sky was pitch black and the full moon was bright, half hidden behind a huge cloud.  There were no street lights and the moonlight lit the street like the set of a horror movie.   

That was one of the reasons why she didn’t go out at night. The shadows in the street below crept her out, in fact she was terrified of the dark. She could hear her family’s laughter and chatter coming from the living room as they watched television, but she didn’t go and join them.

 After reading for two hours whilst sitting on the cold floor, Desiree started to doze off. She leant her head on the misty glass of the balcony window and closed her eyes slowly.  It had been a long day for her since she had had to take care of her sister while both of her parents were at work at the local hospital. They worked long hours everyday but there was nothing else that they could do since they had to take care of their family.

 Desiree was jolted awake by loud angry male voices coming from the street. She wiped the sleep out of her eyes, placed her bookmark in her book and looked out of her balcony to see what was going on. Her dark brown eyes widened and her thin lips formed in an ‘o’ as she witnessed the scene directly opposite where she was.

 A group of four boys circled around another guy as they angrily yelled at him. Desiree froze when she saw one of the four boys punch the other boy squarely in the face and as another one kicked him in the gut. The boys took it in turn kicking and punching him. He tried to defend himself as best as he could but he was no match for the others.  

Desiree watched the poor boy fall to the floor while the biggest of the four boys delivered another hard blow to his stomach.  

Another boy grabbed the black leather bag which the beaten boy had been carrying from a nearby puddle and ran off with the rest of his group.

  Desiree stood there by her balcony window as she looked down at the unmoving boy who was covered in blood. She didn’t notice that she had been crying until she looked down at the closed book on her lap and saw the teardrops on the black cover. She knew that she couldn’t let a beaten boy lie out, her parents had taught her to help anyone in need and that was what she was planning to do.

  She quickly stood up from the cold floor and put on some boots and a puffy jacket over her pajamas before running out of the front door.  She could hear her parents calling worriedly behind her but she didn’t care as she heard the heavy footsteps of her father running after her.  

nb- I split the first chapter into two because my new editor told me that it looked better this way and I agreed. I will try and upload a new chapter soon, thank you.