Chapter 4: The Beginning

Sparkle flew over Canterlot with her saddle bags tied tightly on her back. Today was the first day of her quest, and she was eager to get started.

Her long wings flapped through the crisp morning air as she wondered.

"Where am I supposed to go?" She asked her tiny silver wolf pup riding on her back.

"Woof!" He replied.

"I don't know either, Moondrop." Sparkle sighed.

The little wolf licked her ear soothingly.

Sparkle soon reached Ponyville, where she had to stop and speak to the first pony to help her on her quest. She landed outside the edge of the town, easily avoiding any unneeded attention. She galloped out to the Ever Free Forest.

She reached a small cottage and gently tapped the door with her hoof. The door opened and a zebra stood inside.

"Zacora?" Sparkle asked looking the zebra over.

"Yes, that is me. What have you come to see?" Zacora answered an a strange accent.

"I am Sparkle Shimmer, student of princesses Celestia and Luna. I was sent here to begin my journey. I must find the darkest place in Equestria." Sparkle explained.

Zacora nodded. "Follow me."

She led Sparkle and Moondrop into a room with a large pot in the middle.

"The place you seek is not small or meek. It is a land of great evil, even now dark things lurk there still." Zacora warned.

"I know, it is what I must do." Sparkle insisted.

Zacora sighed. "The place you must go is called the Vale. Not many good ponies go there and live to tell the tale."

'Good ponies?' Sparkle thought. She shook it off it must have been a slip of the tongue. Zacora told them where it was located as well. Sparkle thanked her, then left the cottage.

"The Vale. I've never heard of it before." Sparkle said out loud. Moondrop barked in agreement.

Sparkle gathered her things and took off once again, to the place where no goodness lived.

~Sparkle Shimmer