xix

Promises & Mutants

2nd of January,1973

2nd of January,
1973.
Washington D.C.

Charles grabs his legs as he doesn't feel anything at all now. He looks at them and Logan looks at him. Eleanor is singing a Roberta Flack song softly, called Compared To What.

"You all right?" Logan asks Charles. He nods still looking at his immovable legs with a sad glance.

"Getting there" He murmurs turning to look at him with a small smile. Logan smiles and nods looking at the ground.

"Charles, can I ask you something?" Logan says   "Actually, can I ask both of you?" He asks looking at Eleanor too, who stops humming. She nods slowly and looks at Charles.

"Sure, whatever you want, Logan" He says smiling slightly.

"Whatever happens today, I need you to promise me something. You've looked into my mind and seen a lot of bad" Logan starts saying to Eleanor and Charles, who look at each other through the corner of their eyes "But you've seen the good, too. The X-Men. Promise me you'll find us. Use your power, bring us together. Guide us. Lead us. Storm, Scott, Sophie, Olivia... Jean..." He says dropping the last one with pain "Remember those names. There are so many of us. We will need you, Professor" Logan tells Charles "And Eleanor along with you"

"I'll do my best" Charles replies furrowing his lips.

"We'll do our best" Eleanor looks at him after correcting him and holds his hand smiling. Logan's small smile appears on his face.

"Your best is enough" He responds with a smile "Trust me" Charles looks at him holding Eleanor's hand. She gives him a little squeeze and he smiles at him, then he looks out of the window.

• • •

The White House is surrounded by journalists from all around the world, reporting what happens today. This is history happening in front of them and if Raven kills Trask, mutants will be seen as a danger. Eleanor waits in the line next to Charles.

"If I had my guards with me I could have gotten us an invitation" She murmurs nervously. Charles turns to look at her with a smile.

"We don't need an invitation" He says putting his fingers over his temple. She smiles and nods.

"Yes, but still" She replies "I could get us in legally, this is kind of cheating"

"Since when do you care about doing things legally?" He asks grimacing "And it would be half-legally" Charles corrects her with a smile. She rolls her eyes, pulling Charles with a smile as they cross the metal detector. Charles shows them his hand as the detector beeps, since his wheelchair is made of metal.