xxi

Marriage

July, 1973

July, 1973.

Eleanor looks at Charles as she gets her suitcase ready. He is reading a political book Eleanor is currently studying. She is studying all she can about politics since she is the first and new mutant adviser. She is going to be involved in campaigns of integrity for mutants. She is excited for it whereas Charles is proud of her. She looks at her ring on her right hand as she folds the clothes on the suitcase. Charles stands up from his chair and gets a bag full of little serum bottles inside of the suitcase. Eleanor looks at him again, worrying about him.

"I've told you many times, love" He tells her "It's our honeymoon, I am going to use it with caution" He repeats for the fifth time today. She sighs and nods.

"Okay, if that's what you want alright" She tells him as she places the serum under some of Charles's shirts. She looks around the room looking for her handbag. Charles puts his arm around her waist and kisses her shoulder. She smiles but pulls him away gently "No, no, we have to get our things ready, darling" He rolls his eyes sitting in the bed and taking Eleanor's hand, looking at her ring.

"We are married" Charles murmurs with a smile on his face. Eleanor looks at him smiling and gets closer to him.

"We are married" Eleanor repeats, confirming the statement.

"I had that ring since we opened the school, you know, but I never found the right moment to ask you nor the reasons to do it" She looks down to him as he puts his arms around the lower back of the woman.

"I think Eleanor Xavier sounds really classy" She comments with a smile.

"It does" He smiles before Eleanor leans down to kiss him as he looks up. Then she pulls away with a teasing smile.

"Now, I'm going to finish packing our things because the sooner we do it, the sooner we are back and get the school working" She says as she looks at the suitcase. Charles sighs with a smile and stands up.

"Alright, my dear" He tells the woman as he puts his things in a bag. By lunch time, they are already done and ready to go. The get their things downstairs. Hank is working on his lab until they knock at his door. He smiles at them and walks next to them.

"Hey, are you leaving already?" He asks with a small smile. Charles shake his head.

"Actually, we were hoping we could go out and have lunch, the three of us" He says looking at Eleanor and then at Hank again.

"Oh, I'd love to" He replies "But I have work to do" Eleanor looks at him sighing.

"Come on, Hank, you are literally going to have 2 weeks of peace and you can work all you want" She tells him "But now you are coming with us" She pulls the door closing it behind him with a telekinetic pulse. Hank sighs and Charles takes Eleanor's hand as they go the car. The have dinner for the last time before they go to their honeymoon. When they come back, they are starting the school again. Eleanor will continue working on her campaigns and giving lectures in schools. She is now a public image, she even received letters from mutants that ask her to help them, to give them advice. She feels like she is doing something that is worth it for once in her life. She is happy.